No error with wrong client_key

Post here any issues with the API or feature requests
EmberMediaManager

No error with wrong client_key

Post by EmberMediaManager »

Hi

Is it intended that there is no error if the client_key is wrong?
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No error with wrong client_key

Post by Kode »

Not really thought about it that much, but as a client key isn't required, not sure whether it makes sense or not to return an error instead of the results that not having any key would give.

On the other hand if you have purposely supplied a client_key maybe it should return an error.

What are peoples thoughts?
zorensen
Admin
Admin

Post by zorensen »

I agree :)
If you have applied a client key, but it's a invalid one it should return a error.

This way you can easily find out if you copied the wrong key or something :)
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Albert Einstein

- Getting started
- Navigating Fanart.tv
- Why Your Image May be Denied
- Moderation Time
- Music Fanart Rules
EmberMediaManager

Post by EmberMediaManager »

I'm back from vacation =)

Has already changed something here?

I am also of the opinion that there should be an error. Otherwise, the combination of api_key and client_key pretty useless.
AlfredENeumann

Post by AlfredENeumann »

Hi also,
I just tried in my app what happens with a wrong client key; there is still no error, just the same result as if I would not use any client key.

I wanted to encourage people to use the client key as it is recommended by you. But, if there is no difference if you use a valid or invalid key, I also think it does not make too much sense...

Any plans to change that? If no, I will delete this client key stuff in my app, as I expect that people will realize very fast that "any key" works as well as a real personal key ....
Alfred
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

the benefit of using a personal API key is getting newer images quicker: https://fanart.tv/2015/01/personal-api-keys/
AlfredENeumann

Post by AlfredENeumann »

Hi Kode,
thanks for the quick reply. I understood that, but I think for most (or all) users of my app (musicplayer with artist background pictures) it does not matter if the pictures appear a few days earlier or later.
The only reason why I wanted to encourage (and force a bit) the people to get a personal key was your wish
here were a couple of reasons for adding personal API keys, the first was to try and help with our problem of obscurity, last year our API was used nearly 2 billion times, but 99.9% of end users using our service will never have heard of us
But this to my opinion will not work when a wrong personal key does not lead to an error, as 99% of the users only will do register themselves if they really do have a personal advantage.

But for sure, thats up to you. Just to make it clear: You are not planning to issue an error with a wrong client key in future? I doubtet a little as you were asking for peoples opinion in september 2014 - yes, long time ago...
Cheers Alfrd