Problem with movie posters

akovia
Admin
Admin

Re: Problem with movie posters

Post by akovia »

LOL blok2004,
We all really do feel your pain. You weren't around when the poster section was cutting it's teeth, and unfortunately the old forum thread about it has been lost.
Most of the posters you are talking about were from that period and though a lot of them were removed, some still remain. If anything, those few movies can serve as an example of what we want to avoid. Since then, we've pushed pretty hard to keep character posters to a minimum. If you would like to fine tune the requirements, I'd suggest posting to the Poster Rules Revisited thread to start a discussion about it. I am certainly not opposed to it.
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

akovia wrote:LOL blok2004,
We all really do feel your pain. You weren't around when the poster section was cutting it's teeth, and unfortunately the old forum thread about it has been lost.
Most of the posters you are talking about were from that period and though a lot of them were removed, some still remain. If anything, those few movies can serve as an example of what we want to avoid. Since then, we've pushed pretty hard to keep character posters to a minimum. If you would like to fine tune the requirements, I'd suggest posting to the Poster Rules Revisited thread to start a discussion about it. I am certainly not opposed to it.
Not 100% true. I know of a certain user who uploads the type of posters blok described on a regular basis.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Tobby wrote:
Not 100% true. I know of a certain user who uploads the type of posters blok described on a regular basis.
to keep character posters to a minimum
This is true,
Like I said, I am not opposed to descussing the further refinement of the rules, but that means people need to discuss it and offer solutions. Not just say they don't like it. ;)
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

akovia wrote:
Tobby wrote:
to keep character posters to a minimum
This is true,
Like I said, I am not opposed to descussing the further refinement of the rules, but that means people need to discuss it and offer solutions. Not just say they don't like it. ;)
I'd rather you set the new rules without me, so I can whine about it afterwards. :)
leepenny

Post by leepenny »

hehe - seeing as you started this thread it would be advantageous to have your input,
(tobby hides in the shadows with one eye on the discussion) - LOL
blok2004

Post by blok2004 »

I think the best solution is to just look at a poster and gauge public interest. I can tell for instance that a blank poster of district 5 from Hunger Games is unlikely to be as popular as the official poster for instance. And the votes reflect that. Just like an individual charecter poster for The Avengers is unlikely to be as popular as an ensemble (again the votes reflect this) The only problem is that then we're basing artwork off our individual tastes and interests in addition to ranking overall quality.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

blok2004 wrote:I think the best solution is to just look at a poster and gauge public interest. I can tell for instance that a blank poster of district 5 from Hunger Games is unlikely to be as popular as the official poster for instance. And the votes reflect that. Just like an individual charecter poster for The Avengers is unlikely to be as popular as an ensemble (again the votes reflect this) The only problem is that then we're basing artwork off our individual tastes and interests in addition to ranking overall quality.
I completely understand what you're saying block, and this definitely seems like a thorn in your ass. :evil: You just happened to pick 2 of the very few shows that got bombarded like that. (cars2 I think was another biggie.) I think there are maybe 6-12 shows with that problem. I should know as I saw it all when we opened the section. I guess you consider most of them "Grandfathered in". We can however enable and enforce the proposed (by me) rule of a 6 poster limit consisting of no more than 3 of a type. (Text & Textless) I have no problem with this, but it's going to take someone to go through the shows, contact the author, and ask them to select which ones they want to keep and coordinate the fix. Or deny them all and ask them the re-upload the ones they want. (seems kinda harsh) Arbitrarily going through our library and saying "I don't think people will like this", and then denying it is not an option.

If you want to spearhead this project, I have your back. It's just not something I can deal with at the moment.

Lastly, let me say this again.
I am open to a discussion to nail down the rules a little tighter, but it will take suggestions. Post in the Poster Rules Revisited thread if you have some.

P.S. I'm talking to you too Tobby. ;)
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Well I guess this wasn't a big enough problem for anyone to pick up the ball and run with it, so it will stand "As-Is" for now. Id really not like to re-visit this yet again unless someone is willing to put some work into fixing it.

For now this is what will happen.
A new upload limit will be official. A total of 4 posters max of any combination of text/textless.
As far as how "portrait" pictures are handled. I'll write something in the Poster Rules Revisited thread.