Thanks for reminding me why I stopped uploading album art.

KLFofLegion

Re: Thanks for reminding me why I stopped uploading album ar

Post by KLFofLegion »

I am using different programs.
Resampling i do with IrfanView. I get the best results with Lanczos.

Really i see massive blocky artefacts in the red letters in King Kong.
Maybe you have a different sight angle on your screen.

But maybe its better to keep calm to avoid another bad jaggy color replacement. :lol:
ZincRider
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZincRider »

Lanczos sure should a sharpening resampling algorithm. IrfanView's implementation seems to be better than Gimp's. I don't see much (if any) difference between Gimp's cubic and lanczos resampling. Both look just like Photoshop's bicubic (smoother).

The best downscaling results depends a lot on the image. For some images bicubic (sharper) looks good to me, others get too much of a halo around hard edges or look too grainy. In CD cover scans it tends bring out what is left of the screen pattern after descreening, so I usually can't get away with it. Bicubic smoother plus unsharp mask or smart sharpen is a great alternative. It just gives you more control over the sharpening.

Maybe I can't see the artefacts in the red lettering because my screen is clipping out. Or you're seeing them because your screen is clipping out.
I do see a bit of jpg compression there, but nothing I'd call "massive". It's not noticeable at 100% - although I agree it wouldn't keep a certain moderator from denying it. :mrgreen: It can't be avoided, though. The image is quite detailed, so it needs a little compression to meet the file size requirements.
ZincRider
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZincRider »

And now that hack is messing up my images that he found on albumartexchange. :evil:
Silverfox
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Silverfox »

I saw this thread roughly 4-5 weeks ago, and kind of surprised I didn't chime in at that point. Especially someone like me who's got a big f'n mouth! Just ask one or two of the moderators *and* administrators who got to see what I'm capable of in more ways than one. I will be the first in line to say that being a chatterbox has certain drawbacks; but boy oh boy does it pay off at times with high dividends. That and knowing how to damn write as well as coming up with a cogent thought or two. Something I can't really say for the very person everyone has been bitching and moaning about. At any rate, I will leave with the following. 1) I feel sooooooooooo vindicated! In other words, for awhile there I thought I was alone *and* had one or two mixed feelings in regards to complaining a second time. A different moderator I might add, and dare I say much worse than the first one. If anything the first person I complained about was a mere babe in the woods, and could be excused for being quite a bit out of his league (he was much more at home in some other section here on Fanart). But not so the other moderator who has quite a bit of experience in the music section; though he seems oblivious at times in a 'left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing' type of way. In the coming days I will hopefully elaborate on that if I get the itch to do so. Some of you have kind of beat me to it. 2) I'm so damn glad I am finally speaking out. I will have to re-read things from the start in order to refresh my memory a little bit. But from the looks of things nothing has really changed. That being the case I'm also taking a *wait 'n' see* approach just like ZincRider, Edjgraphix, and perhaps one or two of the others that tossed in their own tales of woe. 3) I would have to double check but I believe I said it to ArieS and perhaps Lee Penny via private message, but I don't care to see this particular moderator given the boot. If anything, and I said so much to ArieS, I think he's a good guy and still have good memories of a nice rapport we had from the very beginning. But that was then and this is now. While I was quite happy for him when he became a moderator, it's more than to safe to say it has gotten to his head. That and being a gross caricature of a perfectionist gone mad. Let the chips fall where they may, but I would probably jump up and attempt a few cartwheels if I hear anytime soon that he has been tossed out on his ear. I don't have to spell out the reasons because some or most of you have already touched upon them. 4) Last but not least, the hundreds of images I have on the side are going to stay put until further notice. (I *might* put up some replacement images that I didn't get to do so months ago, but that too remains to be seen.) Too bad because I was looking forward to *FINALLY* putting up images of Judas Priest spanning across their entire discography *and* from various countries (e.g., Canada, Austria, U.K., Japan, Australia, etc. etc.). If by some wild chance I were able to get a guarantee that this (ahem) moderator won't be overseeing *MY* images and instead some other moderator(s), for example, Zorensen or Lee Penny who were the main ones in the beginning and who I always liked, I will consider a change in mind. I have a feeling that will probably not be the case. But I can hope. I can cross my fingers. And even pray if need be that a couple of rays of light shine through the darkness. I'm just not holding my breath too much. Oh yeah, no apologies for my *BOOK*. Deal with it! You know who you are.
edjgraphix
Veteran
Veteran

Post by edjgraphix »

Here are the latest messages that I have received on this site:
Silverfox sent you a new private message 47 minutes ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 5 days, 7 hours ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 5 days, 9 hours ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 1 week, 5 days ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 1 week, 6 days ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 2 weeks, 1 day ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 2 weeks, 3 days ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 2 weeks, 4 days ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 3 weeks ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 3 weeks ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 3 weeks, 1 day ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 3 weeks, 4 days ago Read | Delete
M1GHTY M4VS sent you a new private message 1 month, 3 weeks ago Read | Delete
MrTinkertrain sent you a new private message 2 months ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 2 months ago Read | Delete
ezz9 sent you a new private message 2 months ago Read | Delete

Two of these were cool messages about this thread, the rest were issues about images that I had contributed and that had already been approved.
I couldn't help but notice something else as I was looking through my Fanart activity - I have not had one image approved by this moderator - every single upload that I have had evaluated by this person has been denied. I'm sure if this happened to anyone else, they might start thinking that they were wasting their time here too.
KLFofLegion

Post by KLFofLegion »

I had been looking to the pending images the last days.
Most of them were replacements of our favourite mod.
Nobody else has the chance to replace. It would be ignored.
But he has the force.

When i think of the future, i see all images at fanart signed with the same contributor name.
KLFofLegion

Post by KLFofLegion »

And look at the quality of his images the last minutes.

He would deny his own image for being too blurry.

https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/1dcc8968 ... 9c572e.jpg

And the next one for being too grainy!
It never had a chance to get approved.

https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/a3cb23fc ... 7ddf7e.jpg
ZincRider
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZincRider »

This one was particularly horrible. https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/0c502791 ... f02109.jpg
There are much nicer versions on AAX that he could have picked like this one http://www.albumartexchange.com/covers. ... q=eldorado or this http://www.albumartexchange.com/covers. ... q=eldorado

This one is much blurrier than he would accept as well: https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/c842d29f ... 4444e0.jpg
Even worse, he removed many details from the source image. http://www.albumartexchange.com/covers. ... saurus+rex
Had he bothered to compare with ebay product photos or orther scans, he would have realized that what he removed was not dust but part of the artwork.
Silverfox
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Silverfox »

Normally I would say, "I wouldn't have believed it if I...", but not this time or any other time for that matter. Par for the course with him. Oh, examples are legion but I'm referring to his upload of the 'Eldorado' album by ELO. He's no stranger to pilfering from AAX on numerous occasions, so it surprises me he didn't do so this time around in regards to that image. Ironically enough that probably didn't deter him from doing so with the album, 'All Over The World: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra.' Unless he got it elsewhere (surely not iTunes or even utilizing the Album Art Downloader app. which I tried earlier) I suspect he got it from AAX *and* merely changed the aspect ratio to 1000px all around. Stopping short of checking out Discogs or MusicBrainz, it seems there is a regular and digi-pak version. Anyway, all this goes to show what I said in my previous post which basically describes one of several aspects of his persona in a nutshell: His left hand doesn't know (or want to know!) what the right hand is doing. He is quick to the draw with instances of -- allegedly or not -- "spots", "compression artifacts", and his favorite go-to, "scan moire", but can't seem to do the same for his own contributions. Simply put, he can dish it but he can't take it. I should know since I wrote him a lengthy e-mail a few months ago critiquing and/or taking him to task over such "sins". Perhaps even more sad is that the so-called powers that be know about it (and perhaps more so at this juncture since writing to two of them awhile back) and aren't doing a damn thing about it. :?
Silverfox
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Silverfox »

Despite having some experience over on Discogs with replying to others by including their comment(s) within bracketed quotations, pardon me in case things don't turn out the same here. Aside from yesterday and another post many hours earlier, this is the first time I am responding to someone here in the Forums section. Alrighty, on with the show. :)

"reason: quite a lot of noise should be shaper linea on her face"

Now ain't that real peachy! Right on the heels of what ZincRider said elsewhere, even a mere baby can see that photo was as good as it gets when it comes to present day images. More to follow further below.

"What does 'shaper' mean? Does he mean 'sharper'? What is a 'linea'? Does he mean a 'line'?"

It means that he can't spell to save his own damn life! I don't know about anyone else and will merely speak on my behalf. Unless it's some brain disorder or anomaly in my bodily wiring, I tend to be sensitive to that sort of shit(e). No, I don't go ballistic let alone apoplexy when I see grammatical errors and misspellings despite whimsically referring to myself as a grammar nazi extraordinaire. Keeping it simple, I just can't for the life of me fathom how some folks made it through years of school without having a proper grasp of basic writing skills. :roll: I'm sorry but there's only so much that my brain's built-in spell check or grammar/syntax alerts can do without being overloaded like a transistor amplifier undergoing clipping. Okay, where was I?

"There are rarely clean images with flat colors. Most images are noisy. I am really surprised of denying, because its a simply perfect image..."

He pulled that horse crap with one image in particular that I will never forget as long as I live. I was kind of forced to grab it from AAX. It was basically a promo shot without any text whatsoever. I try as much as possible not to resort to AAX if I can help it, but since I couldn't find the same high quality photo online or the actual front cover image (AAX had nothing higher than 800px) I resorted to combining the best of both worlds: A much better one I found via Google Images at 953px and the following.... http://www.albumartexchange.com/covers. ... =September

This is the net result and one our fearless vampire killer denied with an immortal line not even worthy of Bela Lugosi suffering from outright boredom while presented with a fresh young virgin, "Not high enough quality." https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/deny/cry ... d62f99.jpg

"My source is the original master-art. Its an 20MB-TIFF-File....I only resized it and saved it at highest jpeg quality. Please tell me: If the original digital master-art of an recent release is not of high enough quality, how can any image be good enough?"

Ahhh, there's your problem! You should have saved it in 5-D!!! Word has it that you know who is the only one in possession of that format. :mrgreen:

To wrap things up, I don't know what else to say. All I know is that things better change -- and FAST(!) -- because if not this particular website is going to lose a good number of contributors. And no doubt take their business elsewhere.