Thanks for reminding me why I stopped uploading album art.

ZincRider
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Thanks for reminding me why I stopped uploading album ar

Post by ZincRider »

Looks like a pencil drawing that has paper texture. Certainly not moire. Moire would show quite distinctly after a fourier transformation, but this one has absolutely nothing happening in the frequency domain.
edjgraphix
Veteran
Veteran

Post by edjgraphix »

I was hoping that when Fanart made their changes that changes might entail some way to stop this kind of conflict of interest - which this is an obvious case of - but I haven't noticed any difference or seen any evidence of this slowing down. It's not the fact that the dude is "contributing" as many covers as he has - I have no issue with that, it's all of the denials and removals of cover artwork that I have worked on that result in a total waste of time in trying to participate here. Many albums that have been denied for some minor (or made up) reason still have no representation here. That's the flaw with expecting perfect artwork. Maybe the dude doesn't even realize how overly critical he is when he's evaluating others' artwork, I don't know, but Fanart seems to value this one-man album cover factory over all of those who stopped contributing because it's still "business as usual" as far as I can see. It's really disturbing to have had cover artwork with 9 votes being replaced by artwork that doesn't look like any cover I have - cassette, CD or LP (yes, I own all 3 of this particular release) but what do I know? This replacement cover now looks a lot darker and nowhere near as clean as what I had up there, yet it somehow has 2 votes. I guess one vote would look too suspicious. HAHAHAHA!
megablaps

Post by megablaps »

You do awesome work. edjgraphix, I've noticed you've contributed quite a bit to ISIS (the post-metal band). Awesome, I tried my hand at a few of the missing covers I have, (I have like no spare time hey) Most of mine eventually got accepted, I'm mostly concentrating on CDart ATM as I'm planning to offload my massive CD collection soon, and maybe a section of RAW scans could be on the cards?? You know just for people to download and play with and make this huge collection that much more shiny?

Can that be a serious suggestion?

Also, I have reported an image that is a couple of years old now, and I have a better one, So I sent it as well, and nothing? It's Like it doesn't exist?
It's like the report doesn't exist anymore, there are obvious artifacts all over the shop and mine is a LOT better for such an old album cover.

EDIT*
I just noticed this is my first forum post, but I first submitted images years ago. Yikes.
edjgraphix
Veteran
Veteran

Post by edjgraphix »

megablaps wrote:You do awesome work. edjgraphix, I've noticed you've contributed quite a bit to ISIS (the post-metal band). Awesome, I tried my hand at a few of the missing covers I have, (I have like no spare time hey) Most of mine eventually got accepted, I'm mostly concentrating on CDart ATM as I'm planning to offload my massive CD collection soon, and maybe a section of RAW scans could be on the cards?? You know just for people to download and play with and make this huge collection that much more shiny?
This one's for you http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISIS-album-disc ... Sw-KFXcwX4
Attachments
Isis.jpg
Isis.jpg (332.06 KiB) Viewed 13399 times
Last edited by edjgraphix on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZincRider
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZincRider »

edjgraphix wrote: Maybe the dude doesn't even realize how overly critical he is when he's evaluating others' artwork, I don't know, but Fanart seems to value this one-man album cover factory over all of those who stopped contributing because it's still "business as usual" as far as I can see.
And his own substandard artwork gets accepted by other mods who are not as critical. :lol:
He seriously has has the nerve to upload covers that he himself would deny for being too blurry.
His touch ups are pretty bad as well. Color replacements with pixelated edges, artwork details that are mistaken for dust or dirt and removed.. At least he doen't use auto white balance as often anymore. :mrgreen:

It's not easy finding good moderators, though. Maybe you should apply ;)
megablaps

Post by megablaps »

Yeah, I can understand now why looking at it. It's really quite ridiculous.

I am literally making a hand made collection of my fave bands and culling at least 50% of the crap from my stack.

I am so seriously annoyed at the double standards on this. I look up a 'CDart' through Kodi's CD art work finder, and on no match, it tells me to contribute...

Which I have multiple times lately. I have submitted this one image, knocked back multiple times, after manipulating it every which way (when fairly sure they don't have the damn album in their hands like I do..). It is clearly better than the one that says "This image needs replacing".

Mods, You do know how evolution works right? Replace with a better one when it comes along.

I have made at least 10 covers this week that are far superior to anything this site offers. And I'm totally not going to bother trying to replace the 'approved' ones.. Check this out https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/5dfdca28 ... 4bdc2e.jpg
and tell me that if you submitted that image now they wouldn't laugh at you?
Lol, yet it's there 2 years strong, not a complaint.

Or this? https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/5dfdca28 ... d5494e.png If I submitted this now, Id be getting a PM telling me every which way how crap it is.

I'm not wasting my time anymore.

Ciao
KLFofLegion

Post by KLFofLegion »

I am new at fanart, got approved some images, but got this message today.
I read in the forum and decided to ask here instead of replying to the mod.

https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/deny/exp ... b7547f.jpg
Your image submission for Murphy, Róisín has been denied.
reason: quite a lot of noise should be shaper linea on her face

What does "shaper" mean? Does he mean "sharper"?
What is a "linea"? Does he mean a "line"?

I dont see too much noise. The look is intentional. There are rarely clean images with flat colors. Most images are noisy.
I am really surprised of denying, because its a simply perfect image and i see so many bad and overcompressed images at fanart.

My source is the original master-art. Its an 20MB-TIFF-File. Got it from the record company, because i am an employee of Google Play Music.
I only resized it and saved it at highest jpeg quality.

Please tell me: If the original digital master-art of an recent release is not of high enough quality, how can any image be good enough?

If this is the case here, i no longer try to contribute. It makes no sense.

Or do you change the original intention of an image artist?
What, if an image is intended to be blurry? Do you manipulate it and make it sharp?

You can judge the quality of an image. But you cannot judge the art.
ZincRider
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZincRider »

It's a great image. Really sharp (just look at the detail in the hair). Did you resize it using bicubic sharper resampling? I guess that could have brought out the grain a bit, but we're certainly not talking about a noise problem here.. The problem is a megalomaniac moderator who denies images for "issues" he makes up when looking at images at zoom levels of 400% with no sense of reason.

The only problem I see with your image are the edges on the top and right, which are lighter than they should be (check against a black background). Make sure you flatten the image (right click on a layer -> flatten image) before resizing in photoshop to avoid this. It could also be a problem with the master art.

I guess the deny-message should have read "Quite a lot of noise. Should be sharper. Line on her face."
The nasolabial groove does look funny, but that's what the photo looks like.

I bet your image got denied for lack of sharpness by the mod who submitted this blurry mess. https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/191de76f ... 6c9def.jpg :mrgreen:
KLFofLegion

Post by KLFofLegion »

@ zincrider: I use lanczos resampling.

These two images got approved yesterday.
The first one has massive artifacts in the red letters.

https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/661e20c8 ... 88c107.jpg

The second one is missing a piece of the "R" in the word "soundtrack".
Furthermore the background had been repainted with black, but not the inner area of the letters in "music composed and conducted by".
Also the first "R" of "Grifters" has the old grey color inside and not the new black.

https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/e2c7d7a5 ... 8da2a6.jpg

How can this get approved?

I think the guy who had been editing these images would never approve that work, if someone else would be the editor.
ZincRider
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZincRider »

KLFofLegion wrote:@ zincrider: I use lanczos resampling.

These two images got approved yesterday.
The first one has massive artifacts in the red letters.

https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/661e20c8 ... 88c107.jpg

The second one is missing a piece of the "R" in the word "soundtrack".
Furthermore the background had been repainted with black, but not the inner area of the letters in "music composed and conducted by".
Also the first "R" of "Grifters" has the old grey color inside and not the new black.

https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/e2c7d7a5 ... 8da2a6.jpg

How can this get approved?

I think the guy who had been editing these images would never approve that work, if someone else would be the editor.
Oh, I see. Are you using Gimp?

I don't see any artefacts in the red letters, but the white stroke has some. It's not quite as bad in the source image on albumartexchange (http://www.albumartexchange.com/covers. ... =king+kong) because the highlights are not clipping as badly.

The lettering on the Grifters cover has been replaced in the worst possible way. The shape is off and the edges are all jagged. The source on AAE looks a little nicer, but problem with the badly replaced background is more apparent: http://www.albumartexchange.com/covers. ... q=grifters