What are we to do about lower quality covers already in DB?

Skyward

What are we to do about lower quality covers already in DB?

Post by Skyward »

Hey guys,

I was just wondering whether I should upload a cover even if it's just a higher-res/quality version of one that's already on fanart.tv? Would that just annoy the moderators? Would the older version be replaced with a newer one or would we just have 2 variants?

regards,
Skyward
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What are we to do about lower quality covers already in

Post by Kode »

best bet would be to report the original and in the message say you have a better quality version, maybe give a link, then the mod would probably set the original as needs replacing and you should be able to replace it.
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

Speaking as a mod, ideally I'd want you to report the original, wait for a mod to agree and mark it as needing replacement, and then you can upload your new image as a replacement and it'll automatically be taken care of and replace the original.

That almost never happens though because the process typically takes a long time. If you're actually uploading a replacement through the replacement process we know it's a replacement, otherwise we have no way of knowing unless you say it is in the comments. Even still, it takes a lot of time to look up the original and then compare the two and, at least for me, it takes me out of the flow of approving images. Often what happens is we'll end up with multiple images. At some point we'll get back to it and delete the one that's bad.
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

Mordred wrote:Speaking as a mod, ideally I'd want you to report the original, wait for a mod to agree and mark it as needing replacement, and then you can upload your new image as a replacement and it'll automatically be taken care of and replace the original.

That almost never happens though because the process typically takes a long time. If you're actually uploading a replacement through the replacement process we know it's a replacement, otherwise we have no way of knowing unless you say it is in the comments. Even still, it takes a lot of time to look up the original and then compare the two and, at least for me, it takes me out of the flow of approving images. Often what happens is we'll end up with multiple images. At some point we'll get back to it and delete the one that's bad.
If I may tweak your process.

Upload the image and in the text field write that it's a higher quality version of an image already uploaded. I done correctly your image would be approved and the old one deleted.
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

I was trying to say that's what people should do, but sometimes it doesn't work perfectly, and sometimes I forget to delete the replaced image. :)

If I had my way, I'd say mark every image you see as needing replacement as soon as you see it. Don't want to upload a better image or anything. If a cover is crap or just has issues that need to be fixed, we want to know about it/review it.
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

Mordred wrote:I was trying to say that's what people should do, but sometimes it doesn't work perfectly, and sometimes I forget to delete the replaced image. :)

If I had my way, I'd say mark every image you see as needing replacement as soon as you see it. Don't want to upload a better image or anything. If a cover is crap or just has issues that need to be fixed, we want to know about it/review it.
This. The site's motto has always been we preffer no image over a bad image. Report it.