GUIDE: Logitech Harmony on Intel NUC with OpenELEC

Anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories, feel free to talk about whatever you like here.
zorensen
Admin
Admin

GUIDE: Logitech Harmony on Intel NUC with OpenELEC

Post by zorensen »

I recently bought a Intel NUC and installed OpenELEC on it. Had some issues to get my Logitech Harmony work on it, and I thought I should share the solution with everyone. After some time, I finally got it to work. However, on some systems it works out of the box and you might not need this at all.

Please note that I don't take any credit at all for this solution. I just found it after a little while on Google. All credits goes to Jachdo on the Openelec.tv forum :)

Here is what I had to do to get my Logitech Harmony working on my Intel NUC;

1. Boot up the NUC and enter the BIOS by pressing F2. There is an option under the advanced settings to enable the IR feature. Make sure this is turned on.
  • If you are having issues with the NUC staying powered down (it power-cycles when turned off), the remote will not be able to successfully power down the system. If this problem does not effect you, go to step 2.
  • The only current workaround is disabling Deep Sleep (which should already be by default) and disabling "Wake on LAN". Please note that turning off this setting will prevent you from remotely starting the NUC by contacting it on the local network (ie. you will need to power it on before it is discoverable). This option is under Advanced > Power in the BIOS
  • It is possible that the BIOS may freeze when you try to change this setting (another issue associated with this problem). If this happens, you will need to go http://downloadcenter.intel.com and download the most recent BIOS update. There are detailed instructions on this site on how to perform the update
2. Once these changes are made, hit F10 to save and exit.

3. After XBMC opens, navigate to to Settings > Network, and find the IP address of your HTPC. Write this down.

4. Navigate to Settings > System > Input Devices and ensure that "Remote control sends keyboard presses" is enabled.

5. Now move to a separate computer on your network and download Putty (http://www.putty.org) for Windows computers, or just use Terminal on Macs.

6. Launch the application and enter the IP address into the top field. This will initiate a SSH session with your HTPC. (In Terminal on Mac, type "ssh root@IP.ADRESS")

7. Copy the following string and paste it into the shell by right-clicking;

Code: Select all

echo "#!/bin/sh" > /storage/.config/autostart.sh && chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh
If done properly, you will simply go to a new line in the shell. If you receive an error, the syntax is likely incorrect.

8. Now paste this second command into the shell:

modprobe -r nuvoton-cir && echo "auto" | tee /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources && modprobe nuvoton-cir
This should enable remote control.

9. Get your remote and see if it works now. If it doesn't, you may have the Harmony Configured incorrectly. Another user has already put together a great walkthrough on how to do this. Review the following link and then come back; http://openelec.tv/forum/12-guides-tips ... lete-guide
Hopefully your remote now works. We aren't done yet though.

10. Next, open Windows Explorer or Finder, and in the address field type, "//192.168.x.x" (No quotes and the IP address would obviously be replaced with your NUC's IP)

11. You should see a folder called "ConfigFiles". Open it.

12. If the previous steps were completed correctly, there will be a file called "Autostart.sh" in this folder. Right-click on it, choose "Open with", and find "WordPad" (do not use Notepad). For Macs, TextMate works great for this.

13. Assuming you've never worked with this file before, all that should be in this file is a single line that reads "#!/bin/sh". Do not delete or overwrite this. Go to a fresh line and paste the following:

modprobe -r nuvoton-cir && echo "auto" | tee /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources && modprobe nuvoton-cir
The contents of the file should now read :

#!/bin/sh
14. Save the file.

15. Now restart your NUC via the XBMC restart option. On reboot, your device should be working properly.

That's it! Everything should be working just fine with your Logitech Harmony on your Intel NUC. Again, all the credit for this goes to Jachdo on the OpenELEC.tv forums. Without his great guide, I wouldn't have made it myself :-)
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Albert Einstein

- Getting started
- Navigating Fanart.tv
- Why Your Image May be Denied
- Moderation Time
- Music Fanart Rules
akovia
Admin
Admin

Re: GUIDE: Logitech Harmony on Intel NUC with OpenELEC

Post by akovia »

maybe this should go in the tuts section?
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

Maybe but it seems to be a case of YMMV as my celeron nuc with the latest BIOS and openelec worked out of the box with no modifications of any sort with both my harmony 1100 and 350
zorensen
Admin
Admin

Post by zorensen »

Might be, Kode... :)
It didn't work out of the box on my Intel Nuc i3, so I thought it was a good idea to write it anyway :D

akovia, put it in the tutorial section if you wish! :D
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Albert Einstein

- Getting started
- Navigating Fanart.tv
- Why Your Image May be Denied
- Moderation Time
- Music Fanart Rules