Pictures under Creative Commons Licence?

Discussions about moderation. Unsure if an image will pass moderation? Ask here. Image has been denied and want some pointers on how to fix the image? Ask here.
SchwabenHeld

Pictures under Creative Commons Licence?

Post by SchwabenHeld »

What are the rules regarding pictures under the Creative Commons Licence (typically pictures from wikimedia). They can be shared freely in principle - however, the requirement is that credit must be given including a link to the licence. How is this handled at fanart.tv?

Btw - a short overview of CC is available here: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pictures under Creative Commons Licence?

Post by Kode »

Not really sure what your question is?
M1GHTY M4VS
Veteran
Veteran

Post by M1GHTY M4VS »

IF an image is sourced from a site that has creative commons license in effect it should be available as such, but FanArt doesn't have a comment section for images, you can comment on uploads but they won't carry over in the db, so you cannot credit that properly, the rules as such don't require proper credits where an image is sourced or how is the licence holder. So if you take an image from a site that has the licensing and you let's say transform the image or build a banner from it could claim that you need to enquire permission from the right owner.

As FanArt, really relies on API's and you can get all the information on the db sites that relate you shouldn't have too much trouble if the licence is mantained there.
SchwabenHeld

Post by SchwabenHeld »

As there is a no possiblility (or I maybe overlooked it) to annotate a picture with credits and a link to a licence I think it is no possible to use pictures that are under the Creative Commons Licence (as it happens to be the case for many pictures on e.g. Wikipedia).

So my questions are:
- is there a way to mention credits and link to a licence on fanart.tv (that I might have overlooked)?
- can someone with a bit of legal background can comment on if it is (or is not) legally viable to upload pics under CC V3 ?

The practical background for my question is simply that there are a lot of great, high-quality pictures on wikimedia, but all I found are licenced under CC and I couldn't really see a way to upload them to fanart.tv with having a good feeling...
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

The new site will allow you to put copyright information, but the current site has nothing like that really.
xyzl

Post by xyzl »

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I was wondering if there is any way to properly attribute Creative Commons images on the current version of the site? I know there is a copyright field where a link can be added, but is there any way of linking to both the original author and the license information to comply with a Creative Commons license? There are quite a few high quality artist images on Flickr, for example, licensed under Creative Commons.

Thanks.