Collection Artwork

Discussions about moderation. Unsure if an image will pass moderation? Ask here. Image has been denied and want some pointers on how to fix the image? Ask here.
Nicks MCE

Collection Artwork

Post by Nicks MCE »

Hi
I have to say that FANART TV is awesome and provides an awesome platform to complete the visual experience in whatever movie and tv platforms we are viewing from.

I have however noticed recently that there is a lot more artwork for "COLLECTIONS" appearing in my collection, unfortunately it seems that it is mostly not to the standards of FANART TV's usual artwork. Most of the logo's are based around 1 of the movies in the collection and the word "COLLECTION" has been added.

The problem is that the word "COLLECTION" is rarely matching the font or fill properties of the original logo. I have also had a couple of disc images show up for a collection, where there is no such disc image for any collection, ie; Back to the Future collection has the disc for Back to the Future 2.

I think there needs to be more control on what is accepted as "COLLECTION" artwork, otherwise it is going to get messy.

It would be unacceptable for new artwork to be created for collections if it in some way reflected components of some of the original movies, either the font or colours etc. If new artwork is created then there should be a greater emphasis on producing sets of artwork, ie; logo, clearart, banner, thumb, poster all with the new artworks. Backdrops should be a selection of backdrops from each movie. Banners and Thumbs could be a thumb from 1 movie in the collection and a banner from another. Clearart should be different from the individual movies in the collection and could include a combination of clearart images to make the collection clearart, ie; find a couple of cleart images from the collection where you can remove the logo and use them as part of the collection clearart.

Anyway, these are my thoughts, just want to keep the standards of artwork on FANART TV up to its astounding level.

To date I haven't uploaded any artwork of my own but am currently working on about 150 full sets for Movie Collections and am focusing on either duplicating the original fonts and fills or creating something new which works with the collections.
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Collection Artwork

Post by Tobby »

Well the thing is that there isn't always an official released collection and then you kinda have to use one of the movies logos as a base or as inspiration.
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

If there is artwork that is poor quality, please report it and say why it's not up to the usual standards, as we have always said, it's better to have no image at all than a crap image and if mods are approving poor images we need to know about it.

Of course, if you have the ability to replace the image with one that is of a higher standard, then the preffered route is to upload a new image, report the original stating why you have reported it and pointing to the new image you have uploaded.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Nicks MCE wrote:Hi
I have to say that FANART TV is awesome and provides an awesome platform to complete the visual experience in whatever movie and tv platforms we are viewing from.
Thank you :)
I have however noticed recently that there is a lot more artwork for "COLLECTIONS" appearing in my collection, unfortunately it seems that it is mostly not to the standards of FANART TV's usual artwork. Most of the logo's are based around 1 of the movies in the collection and the word "COLLECTION" has been added.
Work with me here a bit since I don't have any "Collection" sets in my own library. I was under the impression that collections were an entity all their own. (ie..they have their own ID and are not mixed in with other art.) So maybe I'm misunderstanding you when you say they are showing up in your library. They should only appear if you scrape for a collection you have.
The problem is that the word "COLLECTION" is rarely matching the font or fill properties of the original logo. I have also had a couple of disc images show up for a collection, where there is no such disc image for any collection, ie; Back to the Future collection has the disc for Back to the Future 2.
I spoke with another mod about the Back to the future disc and it appears this was just a mistake and has been taken care of. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. As for the word "Collection" not matching the font of the original logo, I didn't realize the studios always took the time to match the font. I would like to see some examples of the logos/clearart you are referring to. If they are blatantly ignoring the logo that was issued on the collection dvd cover, we would be happy to assess them to see if they meet our criteria. It takes users to point these out for us. Moderators will never be able to investigate every single piece of artwork. If the artwork meets our rules for quality and layout, we will most likely approve it unless it sets off our "spidey senses". There are days when a moderator will approve/deny 100+ images and that can take hours alone. Try to imagine searching out every title in google/amazon on top of that to see if it's exact.
This is why we rely on the community to bring these to our attention.
I think there needs to be more control on what is accepted as "COLLECTION" artwork, otherwise it is going to get messy.

It would be unacceptable for new artwork to be created for collections if it in some way reflected components of some of the original movies, either the font or colours etc. If new artwork is created then there should be a greater emphasis on producing sets of artwork, ie; logo, clearart, banner, thumb, poster all with the new artworks. Backdrops should be a selection of backdrops from each movie. Banners and Thumbs could be a thumb from 1 movie in the collection and a banner from another. Clearart should be different from the individual movies in the collection and could include a combination of clearart images to make the collection clearart, ie; find a couple of cleart images from the collection where you can remove the logo and use them as part of the collection clearart.
This is quite the ambitious request here and a bit unrealistic.
First off, I don't think I understand your first point about collection art not matching the original art. From what I read, you don't want the collection logo to match the original logo in font or color? Even if that's what you are saying, it would be up to the studios to make that decision. If at all possible, we want whatever logo is issued with the collection as the logo for our DB.
As far as producing "sets of artwork", that is left entirely up to the person submitting the art. Not everyone has the same art requirements as people use different media centers with different skins. Some people never use cleararts, banners, etc. Most of the biggest contributors here do create "sets" of art that fill their own needs, which usually doesn't include every type of artwork. Just they ones they use.
There is nothing wrong with your vision of these sets of art, but it might not match what others want. The best way to achieve what you want is to make the art yourself, or to make requests to have them made.

Anyway, these are my thoughts, just want to keep the standards of artwork on FANART TV up to its astounding level.
We absolutely appreciate your input and encourage you to keep interacting with they community. We work hard to keep our standards high, but of course we are human and require the help from users like yourself to point out things that we may have missed. There are only a couple of us who are regularly active in moderating all the artwork that passes though here and it can be quite daunting at times. ;)
To date I haven't uploaded any artwork of my own but am currently working on about 150 full sets for Movie Collections and am focusing on either duplicating the original fonts and fills or creating something new which works with the collections.
That sounds great and I look forward to seeing your contributions!
A word of caution if I may though. If you've never uploaded here before, it can take some time to really get down the rules. We see this time and again where a new user will upload a ton of art on their first try and end up having most if not all of it denied. (I was guilty of this myself when I first started.) This can be a huge blow and very discouraging. I highly recommend uploading only a couple of images to start, maybe one or two per category. If all goes well you can do a few more after that. Just Please do not upload all of your artwork at once.

Here are some links with some great information that should help you immensely if you plan to become a regular contributor, and save you lots of time in the end.
Moderation Time
Getting Started
Navigating Fanart.tv
Movie Fanart Rules

Cheers
Nicks MCE

Post by Nicks MCE »

Hi
Thanks for all the feedback on this, I understand a bit better on how artwork gets accepted and there-fore realize how difficult it would be to police all the collections work. By the way there is a disc in the star wars collection as well.

In the meantime I will start uploading my work and hopefully it will be of a good enough quality, I have about 40 collection sets ready.

I also note your point about a new user getting all the parameters correct and will have a good look the rules and see how I go.

First problem for me, I just can't work pout how to create a new collection, help :D
Nicks MCE

Post by Nicks MCE »

Hi all
I have started to upload some artwork to existing collection categories, have a look at the sets in, basically the logo, clear art, thumb, banner, poster all match. let me know if ok and thoughts.

Hopefully they get accepted on my first uploads :D

A Nightmare on Elm Street
Alien
American Pie
Austin Powers
AVP
Blade
Fantastic Four
Paszt
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paszt »

Overall they are very good. I like the way you matched the font, that Blade Collection banner is off the hook (do the kids still say that?).
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

Paszt wrote:Overall they are very good. I like the way you matched the font, that Blade Collection banner is off the hook (do the kids still say that?).
I'm pretty sure they don't
ArieS
Admin
Admin

Post by ArieS »

Nicks MCE, I tried to send you a PM thru the website but it's not working so I'll post it here:
The discs you reported for Star Wars Collection are fine as we don't have a category for Extras.
I asked the author to make a Cdart for the Collection though, so people can use this one if they want.
Let me know if you have questions.
Nicks MCE

Post by Nicks MCE »

The problem with putting CD's in collections is that they automatically download into the folder. If your using Media Browser skins like ROC or Crystal which have a disc roll out, then in collections /box sets you get these random discs rolling out in front of a cover which already has discs fanned down the cover.

My other point is that there are no discs for a collection of movies, you just don't get 1 disc with 6 movies etc, there are no collection discs.

The only solution I found is to put a png with a dot on it called disc to to stop the random roll outs. Maybe this is just a media browser thing because of the disc roll outs.

Something to think about.