Upload Limits

Discussions about moderation. Unsure if an image will pass moderation? Ask here. Image has been denied and want some pointers on how to fix the image? Ask here.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Upload Limits

Post by akovia »

For a while now we have implemented an upload limit and thought it should be notated somewhere.

The limit is as follow:
You can upload 10 images per image type.
After the limit is reached, you will have to wait for those images to be moderated before you can upload more.

This limit serves many functions, but the biggest being to prevent mass denials which can turn moderators suicidal. There are no plans to change this, so if you are running into this rule you just need to be patient and wait your turn. The moderation rate on the site has been about as good as I've ever seen it.

In full disclosure, moderators are bound by this limit as well so there is no special treatment. We are all in the same boat here.
schimi2k
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Upload Limits

Post by schimi2k »

great Work with this 10 image rule !
the mods did a real good job, and i never need to wait more than 1 day before i can continue uploading !

i say it before but i cant say it enough ... and i am NOT A MOD !!!

" you mods/admins do a realy realy great job guys ! " i think some ppl here forget that you did it for free in your FREE TIME !!!! some of u have family and u spend very much time to check so much images ... u have all of my respect !

so keep up your good work and everybody who complains about this 10image rule - GO IN THE CORNER AND CRY !!!
LastDance-Media

Post by LastDance-Media »

I have only nice things to say about the moderators, but this upload Limits sucks :p it mess' up my workflow :/
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

LastDance-Media wrote:I have only nice things to say about the moderators, but this upload Limits sucks :p it mess' up my workflow :/
We understand that, but I believe the upload limits makes for a faster and steadier moderation time.
LastDance-Media

It might be so, but in my case it's just annoying and far more inefficient. you see, I use to make arts for an artist/band's complete disco, cdart and albumart, link them with the actual music in mediamonkey and make shure everything works fine i XBMC before I uploaded all the CDs and then the album art for that actual artist/band to fanart.tv. Then I was up for the next artist. The only breakoff was when there was a denials. Fix it, up, and done! :) The only thing I needed to think of was the quality and file sizes to avoid timeconsuming denials for me and the mods. Now I now spending so much unnecessary time keeping track WHICH pictures I have uploaded or not. Especially when the cdarts and album covers are not moderated in the same order (it seems that album arts take several days now).... And if it comes up a denial .... total chaos because I've already reached my limit! :p In fact, I'm spending more time keeping track of this, then making the arts it self....

Even though I see the point of this limitation, this is a very annoying bottleneck in my workflow, and I'd actually paid to get rid of it. (... or make another profile...)
AND I must again point out that this is NOT a complaint about moderators, who by the way does a great job, but on this particular rule.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Unfortunately the only way around this is to modify your work flow to allow for this limitation. Maybe create an upload queue folder to help keep track. We are all bound by this limitation and it just a matter of finding the best way to deal with it.

If you do become a moderator this will all become crystal clear why this is a necessary evil. The first time you have to write out 30+ denials for a new member you will realize what true frustration is all about. Not only that, but when you get a couple members uploading 50+ submissions to the same section on the same day you will not be so willing to try and moderate them all and will let them sit there for the next mod to handle, but he is thinking the same thing. These are not obscure examples at all. It used to happen all the time before the limit was put into place. Ever since then, the moderation has been steadier than it's ever been which is proof that it is working.

I wouldn't be opposed to looking into raising the limit for established members with a low denial rate in the future though. Especially if they are donors to the site. This would require some programming by Kode so it wouldn't be a small matter to implement. If you like this idea I'm happy to discuss it further, but I don't ever see it going back to being completely unlimited.
LastDance-Media

When I was the president of a jap-car-club here in Norway (Club Honda Norway), we generated more payed-members on our internet-forum when we put limits to non-paying users PM-messages (among other limitations). Maybe raising the limits can generate more A.F. members? And if we also have to have a low denial-rate as well, this will might reduse the "no-good" and "maybe" uploads, because the uploaders will think twice before uploading "might"-fanarts that will rise theire "denial-rate", if you know what I mean...? . I don't know how hard it is to code something like this for the word-press, but it was not hard in Vbulletin we (the car-club) used back then.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Well I'm not the one who has to code it so I'll leave the difficulty speculation to Kode. I have no doubt he can code it to do whatever is needed if we go that route.

I know that our goal here has never been to generate income, but to just cover operating costs. Unfortunately that seems to rarely happen and Kode has to pay the balance out of his own pocket to keep this site going. Even so, I personally have no problem with giving certain privileges to people that are helping to support the site monetarily. If more people chime in supporting this idea, I'm sure Kode will give us his thoughts.

Please speak up if you are one of the people who would support this and we'll see where it takes us.
LastDance-Media

oh! Just as nobody gets me wrong, akovia :) I don't mean we are up to generate huge income, but the site has to cover the operating costs, as you say. I was A.F.member last year, and are up to contribute this year as well enyway (as soon as Paypal has confirmed my id.) I'm not up to change some site-goals here, but if this can help running the site economically, and the AF members get a few privileges with the limits, then this must be a great deal?

As you say, let's see what this takes us :)
schimi2k
Veteran
Veteran

Post by schimi2k »

i like the idea 8-) ( but not unlimited ! )
i am a new mod and understand 100% what akovia say... when u open the pending section and see 100+ pending images i want to close my browser and go back to bed ^^

but the main idea is good