Unwritten Rules Revealed

Discussions about moderation. Unsure if an image will pass moderation? Ask here. Image has been denied and want some pointers on how to fix the image? Ask here.
JeromyNix

Re: Unwritten Rules Revealed

Post by JeromyNix »

@Hercules,

Appreciate the support. I'm not in this for the moderators... so i submit content for the users, if the moderators deny it, then it's them depriving the users of the content, in some cases i understand, but quality, defects and resolutions non-withstanding (and the occasional misrepresented image or duplicate) i don't see any reason images should be denied, yet i still defer to a moderators judgement (sometimes questioning the problem so i can better understand how to fix it, or what to look for in a better image).
Hercules

Post by Hercules »

Yep exactly. I too just want a bit of positive constructive feedback to learn from. Getting told "... you did a pretty bad job removing the signatures." doesn't make me want to come back tomorrow. Aries guarantee in a different thread that all denials will be respectful seems a bit shaky...

Good luck with it.
ArieS
Admin
Admin

Post by ArieS »

Hmm.
My comments should not be considered 'shaky'.
I meant what I said and I hope all mods adhere to it. If you feel you have been disrespected by a member of the staff please contact me or akovia by PM.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

OK,
This is getting a bit out of hand. I'm on vacation right now and was just checking in but I don't like where this is going. People tend to forget very quickly that the mods and Admins here work for nothing and usually don't even get a thank you. We do it for the same reasons that people contribute. Because we want the best possible art for our media centers.

Granted that we are far from perfect and there is no possible way that there will never be some subjective moderation, but we do our best by creating rules to make it as far from subjective as possible. There are plenty of times where the mods/admins outright disagree on rules and what should be enforced, but we handle that in a democratic way by voting.

The last thing I want is to have have a tyrannical website like so many others that I know of and the best way to achieve that is to solicit and listen to the feedback of the users. This is a two way street though and if you want to be listened to and taken seriously then you need to take the proper steps and explain yourself with details and examples so it can be looked into. Mod bashing in the forums with innuendos and accusations is not the way to elicit change.

ArieS and myself are here to listen if you have a legitimate gripe and will work to resolve it. Please contact us directly if you have a problem with a moderator. Public forums is not the place for it will inevitably ruffle feathers which makes it even more difficult to resolve. We do value our contributors and will do our best to encourage their contributions
If you just want to vent, I can understand that but this isn't the place. If you want change or feel you've been wronged, then please contact an admin with the pertinent details so we can work to resolve it.

Akovia
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Just a bump for anyone following that a new rule has been added.
SimonV

Post by SimonV »

Hi akovia,

Good to see you added a rule after the discussion we had.
However, I think the rule as it is now is not precise enough. I would propose to add that it only applies to arts with titles written in English that have the same title than the English release title. Let me explain with an example.

First an example illustrating why we need this rule:

Taxi 4 is a French movie released with the same title in English speaking countries.
This can be checked on themoviedb website: https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/2335-t ... anguage=fr

First, we must check the "Original Movie Language":
We can see it is set to French.

Then in the English translation, we can see that there is no translated title. Meaning it has the same title than the original title (the French one):

By the new rule, the language of every art with the title "Taxi 4" on it shall be set to "English". This is useful, because for the moment there is no poster in English. This poster will be seen by both English and French users (considering that media centers default to English when no art is found in the user language).

Now, another example that, in my mind, will show that we need to add a precision to the new rule.

The Hangover is a US movie that has been released in France with the title "Very Bad Trip".

This can be seen on themoviedb:

Image Image

I think that in this situation, it would be very confusing to set the language to English. It would mean that we would have two posters with different titles both set to English. As you said, most media centers default to English. It would mean that some people could see the poster of The Hangover with the French title "Very Bad Trip".

What do you think?
ArieS
Admin
Admin

Post by ArieS »

Simon, yeah I agree with you and I actually had PM'ed akovia about this. I used Wild Things as an example, which is named Sexcrimes in French... lol.
There really is no One solution rule for that. It will be up to the uploaders and the mods to make sure we get it right.
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

The simple solution to that is to make sure you explain the reason for selecting a different language than it seems like it should be when you upload an image.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Thanks everyone!
Please look over the re-written rule and let me know if that covers it.

Cheers
shevman

Post by shevman »

Think now it will be fine and everything is clear!