Gimp Usage Videos

Talk about anything Gimp
akovia
Admin
Admin

Gimp Usage Videos

Post by akovia »

I finally have my screen-casting working the way I want and decided to do some quick and dirty tutorials on using gimp for some of the more common tasks of creating fanart.
These videos are targeted more towards the intermediate user with a basic understanding of graphics software, though I'm sure that beginners could probably pick up something useful as well.

There are some caveats though which I will explain here.
  1. 1. No Audio
    I'm not really keen on blabbering away through a tutorial so I've opted for silence. I found a great little utility that will display all my keyboard/mouse presses on screen so all of my actions can be re-created.
  • 2. Shortcuts
    I use shortcuts extensively and will continue to in these tutorials to keep the time shorter. As I do have a lot of custom shortcuts, I will also post an edited version of my menurc file which will show all of my shortcuts with all the empty commands pruned out. This can be a reference to decipher any command I use.
    *Note* Do Not use this file in place of your own.
    *Note 2* If this file changes, I will post a new one with the corresponding tutorial.
  • 3. Content
    I will only be covering the techniques that I’m currently comfortable with. (ie..No Hair)
    I am still working on my anime collection and haven’t moved on to photos yet. When I do, and am comfortable with the results, I will be more than happy to do a tutorial on hair.
  • 4. Photoshop Users
    I really believe that the techniques used here should translate ok to Photoshop. If you can break down what’s being done, you should be able to figure out how to do it in Photoshop as it is more robust than gimp.
  • 5. Filters & Plugins
    Using gimp to the fullest means pimping it out with some of the vast resources available. If you see me using a filter/plugin that you don’t have, you should be able to decipher what it is from either popup window for it, or from the menurc file. Then it’s just a matter of tracking it down.
    http://registry.gimp.org/
    http://gimpscripts.com/
*Tip*
The gimp status bar at the bottom might be useful to keep an eye on. It displays a lot of relevant information.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Re: Gimp Usage Videos

Post by akovia »

Clearart Render using Path Tool
Gimp 2.8.6
Shortcuts Reference

*Notes*
Just cutting out an image and resizing to be used in a clearart. Should show some techniques on path point placement and manipulation. Did some smoothing and sharpening as well.

Filters/Plugins
G’MIC (Anisotropic Smoothing)
FX Foundry Script Pack (Smart Sharpen)
Refocus Plugin (Smart Sharpen)
Alpha Check (Background Layers)

Scan Cleanup
Gimp 2.8.6
Shortcuts Reference

*Notes*
This video shows how to clean up the moire found on lots of poor scans. It also covers some general techniques to smoothen, sharpen, and adjusting the levels to give the image a little more “Pop”. The Clone Tool is used to fix dust and dirt spots.

Filters/Plugins
G’MIC (Anisotropic Smoothing)
FX Foundry Script Pack (Smart Sharpen)
Refocus Plugin (Smart Sharpen)
Descreen
FFT Fourier Plugin
Lordhutt

Post by Lordhutt »

Hey akovia,
I just got around to watching the tutorials. Great stuff, VERY helpful.
Thanks for taking the time!!
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Lordhutt wrote:Hey akovia,
I just got around to watching the tutorials. Great stuff, VERY helpful.
Thanks for taking the time!!
Glad to hear someone got someone use out of them. Let me know if you'd like to see anything added. :)
hslansky

Post by hslansky »

It appears that the scan cleanup video by akovia is no longer available for download. Would someone have a copy that they can share or could one of the admins make it available.

Thanks
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

hslansky wrote:It appears that the scan cleanup video by akovia is no longer available for download. Would someone have a copy that they can share or could one of the admins make it available.

Thanks
Sorry hslansky, I've been away.
I fixed the link in case you still want to see it.
hslansky

Post by hslansky »

Akovia,
Welcome back, I hope all is well. You have been missed. Thanks for fixing the link
gushi

Post by gushi »

Thank you so much for your information , it's useful .

GIMP is very powerful and does a ton of other stuff in addition to drawing (photo editing, basic animation, etc) .

A good drawing tablet is almost a necessity. I use a XP-Pen Star 06 painting Tablet with GIMP , It's a great tablet. For slider adjustments, spot, brush edits it's pretty good.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

I bought a Wacom tablet years ago, but I am just rubbish when it comes to drawing and it just collects dust. I wish I could use it, but I just learned how to get by with my mouse.

I'm sure you'll find a tablet much more useful than a mouse. :)