Scale and Resolution

Talk about anything Gimp
kevn57

Scale and Resolution

Post by kevn57 »

I've read the an image resolution for a CRT should be 72 and LCD 99 or 100. My question is when I'm down scaling an image to fit a categories requirement gimp lets you input a resolution, it always seems to come up as 72 should I change that to 99 or 100. I hope this makes sense to people, I'm a noob and just trying to get the best image quality.
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Scale and Resolution

Post by Dybal »

kevn57 wrote:My question is when I'm down scaling an image to fit a categories requirement gimp lets you input a resolution, it always seems to come up as 72 should I change that to 99 or 100. I hope this makes sense to people, I'm a noob and just trying to get the best image quality.
No. You should almost never change the resolution of your source image. Leave it as is. Not to mention increasing it is a form of scaling the image up.

Be sure to watch akovia's Gimp from scratch Tutorials. He covers scaling basics in one of them.
kevn57

Post by kevn57 »

Thanks a lot for the reply, I did watch the videos they were great but I didn't catch anything about changing the resolution while scaling I must have missed it. I kept pausing the videos to try out his techniques in Gimp and I must have not heard that part. I'm really glad I asked the question and you knew the answer, because I thought I was supposed to change it.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Dybal is correct. You should never have to adjust the source resolution.

The scaling dialogue has a drop down to select how you want to scale. For instance, by pixels or percentage. You should use pixels for almost all every scaling operation.