Auto-zoom

Talk about anything Gimp
mediacentral

Auto-zoom

Post by mediacentral »

I am a CAD Drafter by trade, and GIMP & AutoCAD use mostly similar view modifications with the mouse. Such as: Middle click to pan, (ctrl) wheel to zoom, which I've customized to not need ctrl (as in AutoCAD). However, in AutoCAD, when you double-click the middle button, it zooms to extents.

This is what I'm looking to do, unsure if it is possible. Looking at the Input Controllers section there is not a 'double-click' nor even 'click' for the 'mouse wheel'. I tried looking under 'Mouse Buttons' and it threw me an error about not being able to use more than one mouse controller. So I removed the mouse wheel, and tried mouse buttons, again no 'double-click' just modifier keys+clicks (oddly there were only buttons 8-11 available). Therefore I feel like the base functionality may not even be there.

For what it's worth, I'm running GIMP 2.8.10 on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit

I also have Gimp 2.8 installed on a win7x64 machine (sort-of) dual booted with my current.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Re: Auto-zoom

Post by akovia »

First,
There is no zoom extents in gimp that I'm aware of. You can access all of the available commands with a search box in any of the Input Controllers Editors.
For instance:
Edit > Preferences > Input Controllers > Mouse Wheel then double-click on the Mouse Wheel label in the Active Controllers pane. This will bring up the commands window which is usually very small. Resize the window to see all the available actions you can set. If you double-click on one of the actions like "Scroll Up", another window will appear with all available commands in gimp. (Again, you will probably need to resize the window.) It has a search box at the top where you can enter zoom and see every command associated with zoom.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/935 ... _wheel.jpg

I did see a zoom to selection which could probably be used in a custom script to get what you want.

Anyway,
I have the close to the same mouse buttons available as you. Buttons 8-12. +modifiers.
I've never had a reason to change them, but I would think that a middle click is available there. If I was having this problem, I would open a thread on gimpchat, as those guys are awesome and can probably point you in the right direction.
http://www.gimpchat.com/viewforum.php?f=8

Don't have time this morning to look into it further, but can check when I get some time if you don't get help on gimpchat.
Good Luck,
ako
mediacentral

Post by mediacentral »

Thanks for the answer. Gimp forums were my next stop. And when referring to extents, I simply mean zoom to 100%. Sorry if I sound short. Replying from my phone.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Well you're in lick then. Gimp has an option to zoom 1:1.
If I understand correctly, you want to bind this to your middle mouse click?

Replying from my phone as well. :P
mediacentral

Post by mediacentral »

Bind it to middle double-click, I want to retain the middle click to pan.

That is the issue, I'm not sure if there is a handler within gimp for a middle double-click.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

I think your suspicions are right. The only workaround I see is to start using the space bar to pan. It's already bound, but it's a matter of changing your work flow.
mediacentral

Post by mediacentral »

If not possible, I'll probably just use something like shift+middle for view-zoom-1-1 and ctrl+middle for view-zoom-fit-in. I've started a thread over at GimpChat, we'll see what they come up with and I'll post back here when I have a resolution.

Thanks again.
mediacentral

Post by mediacentral »

Got a response back at gimpchat, and it seems like for the most part double-clicking of any kind is unsupported within gimp itself. He suggested using xbindkeys and/or using window manager tweaks (if available) to map keyboard shortcuts to double-clicks and/or modifiers+clicks.

Not a huge deal, I just sometimes have to facepalm when I go to do something (like double-middle-click and see everything), then realize I'm in the wrong program. :oops:

I think what I'll end up doing is trying out the modifiers+middle-click. Alternatively while thinking on this, I thought about using my mouse's Forward and Back buttons. I never thought of them because I use EasyStroke for forward-back navigation globally (& justgestures in Windows), so I never use them. But I digress, I think I'll try mapping zoom 100% to forward and Zoom to fit to back, or vice versa. No hurt in doing both modifiers+middle and forward/back right.

I've babbled on enough for tonight. Thanks again for wrapping your head around this.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

mediacentral wrote:I just sometimes have to facepalm when I go to do something (like double-middle-click and see everything), then realize I'm in the wrong program. :oops:
I do the same thing in inkscape and it can't be bent to my will without extensive work so I just gave up. It's the main reason I learned how to do most of my path work in gimp instead of jumping back and forth like I used to.

I also used to use easystroke many moons ago but stopped when I lost my main rig and I needed to cut some resident programs on my slow laptop. I just never re-installed it. I'm sure I still have my old gestures saved somewhere.
akovia <--- Data Hoarder

Anyway, sounds like you found a path to success. Good luck! :)
MiniSharma123

Post by MiniSharma123 »

I learned how to do most of my path work in gimp instead of jumping back and forth like I used to.and use the Google Maps Scraper