Site improvement

Content for the site and social networks, have any ideas? Let us know about it.
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Site improvement

Post by Tobby »

I just wanted to give Kode a big hand for the exceptional work he's done with the site the past couple of weeks, not to mention the new forum.

Truly great work. Hat is off.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Re: Site improvement

Post by akovia »

Tobby wrote:I just wanted to give Kode a big hand for the exceptional work he's done with the site the past couple of weeks, not to mention the new forum.

Well ArieS, Baklash, and myself should get some of the credit. We were the ones that chained him to his desk and threatened death by starvation. ;)

Awesome work Kode!!
blok2004

Post by blok2004 »

Definitely love everything about how the new site operates. But there's one thing that deserves special recognition in my opinion:

Thank you for making a search results page!!!! I can't tell you how many times I've searched for something, only to discover it was searching the wrong category.
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

akovia wrote:
Tobby wrote:I just wanted to give Kode a big hand for the exceptional work he's done with the site the past couple of weeks, not to mention the new forum.

Well ArieS, Baklash, and myself should get some of the credit. We were the ones that chained him to his desk and threatened death by starvation. ;)

Awesome work Kode!!
True, but don't forget who payed for the chain ;)
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

blok2004 wrote:Definitely love everything about how the new site operates. But there's one thing that deserves special recognition in my opinion:

Thank you for making a search results page!!!! I can't tell you how many times I've searched for something, only to discover it was searching the wrong category.
You need to thank Bakslash for that one, he kept bugging me on that one until I did it!
bakslash

Post by bakslash »

Kode wrote:
blok2004 wrote:Definitely love everything about how the new site operates. But there's one thing that deserves special recognition in my opinion:

You need to thank Bakslash for that one, he kept bugging me on that one until I did it!
:roll: well I'll keep bugging you :mrgreen:
h82k

Post by h82k »

I'm new to this website, so I don't know how it looked like earlier.
I really like the design but maybe two things which could be improved:
1. group chat on the main page
2. better forums design (I've already read that you might want to migrate to vBulletin v5)
oh, and the posting why an image hasn't been approved could me made public, it's very helpful although it's outdated.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

h82k wrote:I'm new to this website, so I don't know how it looked like earlier.
I really like the design but maybe two things which could be improved:
1. group chat on the main page
2. better forums design (I've already read that you might want to migrate to vBulletin v5)
oh, and the posting why an image hasn't been approved could me made public, it's very helpful although it's outdated.
Welcome to the site h82k.

1. The built in arrow can be handy, but unfortunately it's unreliable and drops messages from time to time. We've opted to use IRC chat for any real time discussions.
The site chat is still handy to see who's online and active though, so I don't see it going away anytime soon.

2. Well you would be loving this if you ever had to use our old forums. We did try to raise money to support a better paid forum package, and the owner himself was willing to put up half to get it done, but there just wasn't interest. Maybe in the future it can be re-visited, but I would get comfortable with what he have for now. phpbb3 is still a very capable forum platform and does everything we need for now, and I for one am happy to have it.

3. This post and this post should explain your last statement.

Thanks for the input :)
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

Arrowchat doesnt actually drop messages as such, it happens when you have the site open more than once, some messages go to a different instance, a ctrl + f5 brings them all back, but yeah, it is a bit annoying. That wasnt what he was asking though I dont think, you can have a "chat room" on arrowchat, but it was hardly ever used so I disabled it to ry and improve site speed.

If we had got the money I would probably have gone with ip.board but it didn't happen.

We should probably put links on the site to those posts Akovia
Paszt
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paszt »

Yeah, the new stuff is looking good, thanks Kode.
h82k wrote:2. better forums design
I didn't like look of the forum either (I prefer darker themes) so I changed it.

I used the Stylish extension with Chrome, downloaded a style for BB Forums and modified it to work here and changed some header icons so they fit with the theme. I can upload to Userstyles.org if there's interest, well I'll probably do it even if there isn't interest.