Search Guide (for requesters)

Anything else graphics related.
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Search Guide (for requesters)

Post by Tobby »

Since providing a good source with your request greatly improves your chances of a member comitting to making it I'll give you a few tips.

STEP 1 - Google's resolution settings

When searching for some art you always want the highest resolution possible to ease the creating process. Google's resolution tools is gret to source out all the low res crap.

STEP 2 - Similar/larger images

Okay, so you didn't find any good images using the above process. That's fine. Just because you didn't find the image you're looking for doesn't mean it isn't there. Let's say you found an image that would be perfect, but it's very low res. What you try then is to drag the image p to the search bar and release it in the container in the image.

After you've done that the following options should appear. Then you can look at the same image in higher res, or if that doesn't work, look for visually similar images in higher res (using the resolution settings from Step 1)

STEP 3 - Use different search phrases

No dice, huh? Well that's okay. There's one more option, which is to try different search phrases. Let's say you're trying to find an image for the movie Little Nicky (cause I got tired of The Dark Knight) and the obvious search "little nicky" didn't work for you. Then try any of the following or be creative: "little nicky 2000", "little nicky poster", "little nicky blu ray", "little nicky itunes"

Any of the above could give you search results different to the first one, which if you're lucky could include your golden image. The reason I included "little nicky itunes" is because Itunes has alot of great quality posters that can be hard to find elsewhere. the "2000" in "little nicky 2000" is the production year. That could help if you get lots of odd results not related to the movie you're looking for.

That's it. Happy hunting.
ArieS
Admin
Admin

Re: Search Guide (for requesters)

Post by ArieS »

Great post Tobby.
And one thing to remember. Thank the person who made the request for you and give him a +1
I get a thank you for maybe 5% of the requests I make..........
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

ArieS wrote:Great post Tobby.
And one thing to remember. Thank the person who made the request for you and give him a +1
I get a thank you for maybe 5% of the requests I make..........
Thank you. And yes, totally agree.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

I never thought to spell this out. Good job Tobby! 8-)
schimi2k
Veteran
Veteran

Post by schimi2k »

thx buddy... some stuff was new for me ;)
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Tobby wrote:STEP 2 - Similar/larger images

Okay, so you didn't find any good images using the above process. That's fine. Just because you didn't find the image you're looking for doesn't mean it isn't there. Let's say you found an image that would be perfect, but it's very low res. What you try then is to drag the image p to the search bar and release it in the container in the image.
Forgot to mention this earlier.
The similar images search doesn't always yield great results. If you look below the image results thumbnails, you can sometimes get pages of other results that will have the image you are looking for when the image only results fail. The cool thing is that google has a thumb for each page and lists the resolution so you don't actually have to click on all the pages. I don't know why these don't show up in the image only results, but it happens more than you think. If you have Imagus installed, it's even easier. ;)
Tobby wrote:STEP 3 - Use different search phrases

No dice, huh? Well that's okay. There's one more option, which is to try different search phrases. Let's say you're trying to find an image for the movie Little Nicky (cause I got tired of The Dark Knight) and the obvious search "little nicky" didn't work for you. Then try any of the following or be creative: "little nicky 2000", "little nicky poster", "little nicky blu ray", "little nicky itunes"
I use "DVD" as a qualifier as well and get good results. "Wallpaper" can also be useful depending on the type of artwork you are doing.