Updated cdArt Templates - WIP

Anything else graphics related.
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Updated cdArt Templates - WIP

Post by Dybal »

I'm working on updating the GIMP cdArt Template. GIMP mangled the circular paths in the current one, v2.0, as it's want to do. Working on it has caused me to take a closer look at cdArt which brings me to my first request.

The outer ring in the Photoshop template could use updating. The current one has a nearly imperceptible bleed over at its furthest edges and the inner edge is a bit rough. Look how great both the outer & inner edges look on this disc. Now compare it to the edges in this excellent leepenny disc. Here is my proposed replacement, also in the spoiler. Assuming it passes muster, would love it if a Photoshop using mod could update the PS template with the new outer ring.
Looking at the create cdART in Photoshop tutorial the PS template is using layer masks for the different holes & split rings. If a Photoshop user would be so kind to export the masks themselves to pngs I could & would setup the GIMP template in a similar fashion, thanks.
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Updated cdArt Templates - WIP

Post by Dybal »

I've stopped being so distracted by other things now. GIMP part of the template is updated with nice four point circular paths including several additional sizes. Redid the GIMP rings and added the PSD outer ring, which is thicker.

Just need those layer masks from the Photoshop template. In GIMP you just turn off any layers above, toggle the mask visible, new layer from visible and export said layer. Hopefully in Photoshop it is similarly easy? Guess you could also manually duplicate them by filling the actual layer with white and enabling the lower black test colour layer. Export as png and upload someplace? Anyone? :cry:
ArieS
Admin
Admin

Post by ArieS »

I use PS so I could do whatever you need done but you'll have to talk to me like if I was 5 years old :D
So what is it that you need?
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dybal »

In the create cdART in Photoshop tutorial you have four layer groups with different style rings as in this image:

Problem is when I open it in GIMP or try to extract the layers with ImageMagick I get the YOUR IMAGE HERE layers. What I need is the actual four masked layers exported: Small middle, Large middle, Small Split and Large Split. In GIMP you can toggle the mask visible, create a new layer from visible and export it to png. Not sure if PS allows you to do similarly. You would want to disable the Posterize layer if the masks have any semi-transparent parts, and that layer is applied to the mask layer.

If you are having trouble making the mask layers visible or exporting them you can recreate them by having the bottom layer set to black and filling each YOUR IMAGE HERE layers with white. You also need to disable each Posterize layer and the Shading layer. Then you would export each layer group one at a time.

Hopefully that's clearer? :? I've known some smart 5 yr olds. ;)