Searching by IDs

Post here any issues with the API or feature requests
stuayre

Searching by IDs

Post by stuayre »

Is it possible to search for TV art using the IMDB ID?

for example... The Sopranos has an ID of: tt0141842

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141842/

but it doesn't seem possible to search for TV art with the IMDB ID only the thetvdb.com ID

is there anyway I can convert my IMDB ID to a theTVDB ID?

Ideally it would be great if i could use the API to search for a keyword, e.g. The Sopranos and the API would return the most likely results.... maybe I could download the whole database but I think that would be a bad thing to do. maybe there could be a nightly dump of the titles and IDs?
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Searching by IDs

Post by Kode »

no, it's not possible to search by imdb as thetvdb doesn't store that information (unlike tmdb which also returns the imdb id which is why you can search for imdb on movies).

We rely on third party databases to provide the base information (thetvdb for tv, tmdb for movies and musicbrainz for music) as we don't have the resources or manpower to admin a seperate database (and it's counter productive, why try re-inventing the wheel when there are already community projects).

Theres currently no search in the API as most projects use the aforementioned third parties for information already and we just piggy back on the ids for extra artwork, but we may provide search functionality in the next version of the API.

What is it you are trying to achieve?