Get Images by Artist Name?

Post here any issues with the API or feature requests
pkscout

Get Images by Artist Name?

Post by pkscout »

I maintain Artist Slideshow (an addon for Kodi) that downloads artist images for playing artists. It looks like one of our primary sources of images (htbackdrops) isn't allowing API access anymore, so that leaves me with just theaudiodb and fanart.tv. Fanart.tv doesn't seem to have anyway to get artist images with just the name of an artist, so if a Kodi user hasn't tagged their music with the MusicBrainz ID, they can't get any images from fanart.tv.

With that as the setup, are there any thoughts about or plans for adding the ability to return images based on artist name?
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Get Images by Artist Name?

Post by Kode »

I'll have a think about it, adding search will complicate things a fair bit and put strain on the API, I'm looking at using elasticsearch on the new site so it might be easier then
zag
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Get Images by Artist Name?

Post by zag »

From my experience its quite a resource intensive way of doing it as you have to provide multiple results most of the time.

For now I think its better to simply require users to MBID tag their music.

I wondered if the MBID tag could be stored locally somehow in the Add-on database. That might make it better at caching the data rather than continually looking it up.