BEST/ ALTERNATE Artwork Downloader for Kodi

Post here any issues with the API or feature requests
adamforeman

BEST/ ALTERNATE Artwork Downloader for Kodi

Post by adamforeman »

Not sure if this is the best place to post, please move to appropriate place (Thanks in advance)

I am currently using AEON MQ6 v3.3.0.10 for Isengard and Artwork Downloader v13.1.0 by Martijn.

My question is, do any of you use a different ADD-ON and if so why? Can I use another one that works better? I posted on his Thread on Kodi and no reply, which he's totally entitled to, so I've come here to the experts and ask what do you all use?

Cheers

Ad
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BEST/ ALTERNATE Artwork Downloader for Kodi

Post by Kode »

What issues are you having with Artwork Downloader?
adamforeman

Post by adamforeman »

Kode wrote:What issues are you having with Artwork Downloader?
Same as I've mentioned before, I have three Android TV Boxes and the Artwork will come down to each one at different times and it has nothing to do with the time the images are approved and then available after say 1-2 tweeks, they just don't come down.

eg FUR TV HD CLEAR LOGO created by me added 2 weeks ago still not available
eg FUR TV HD CLEAR ART created by me added 2 weeks ago still not available

https://fanart.tv/series/82513/fur-tv/

This is just one example. I have no idea why the updates happen randomly and don't update on the basis you gave me the last time. I don't have money to be a VIP or whatever as I'm disabled and don't have a job. I can't afford to donate. So I give back in my time for me and others. https://fanart.tv/members/adamforeman/

So getting back to the issue, why even after 2 weeks, images don't come down and why do they not come down to all my boxes? After 2 weeks EVERYONE that uses the ADD-ON Artwork Downloader should be able to download and see the images as well, not just me. This is still confusing as to what is going on in the script and the server handshake, authentication and download.

Cheers
McVicar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by McVicar »

Hi
The best solution is when you build an OMV server and since a MySql database is set up. Since you only have to load the pictures once and you have everything centrally. And if he does not find pictures with me and I have this local on my PC then I use these then with MediaElch in the appropriate order and good is it.

Cheers
MC Vicar
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

I know it's not ideal, but if you really want to see the images you can manually put them in the folder, I don't use Artwork Downloader so the issues with that are hard to say.

On a happier note, the plan for the new site is to regard contributors as VIPs for the purpose of API results etc, so I'm hoping I have a bit of spare time to work on the site soon.
adamforeman

Post by adamforeman »

Kode wrote:I know it's not ideal, but if you really want to see the images you can manually put them in the folder, I don't use Artwork Downloader so the issues with that are hard to say.
Where does Kodi store the HD ClearART & Logo's in Android? Does anyone know? I have all my KODI_DATA on my external 64Gb SD Card.
Kode wrote:On a happier note, the plan for the new site is to regard contributors as VIPs for the purpose of API results etc, so I'm hoping I have a bit of spare time to work on the site soon.
Sounds excellent! It's also great for artists to see their artwork straight away so if they see a mistake or whatever or they don't like the positioning after seeing it on the TV, we can make changes and get it replaced. When I made this suggestion a few weeks ago, I also suggested that contributors had to make X amount of points or number of images accepted by the admins. As I said before, I don't want someone to make a single image just to get around the VIP Status and never contribute again. I create images to give back to the community. I have TV Shows and Movies that haven't got HD artwork of any kind either LOGO or ART. For me, I can't speak for others, but I get huge satisfaction seeing my artwork on my TV when it arrives and seeing people vote for my artwork as being default is even cooler.

Also, I keep meaning to ask, what does an API KEY do? And how do you use it in KODI (Android)?

Cheers again Kode!
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

I think if you store the images in the media folder it will be picked up, but not 100% sure.

The contributor would probably have to get at least 1 star to get VIP status, I haven't hammered out all the details, but there would probably be a minimum points a month needed to keep it, until they got to a certain threshold.

There are 2 types of API keys, project api keys and personal api keys, the former is used by things like plugins, the plugin may also allow you to enter your personal API key. If you haven't entered a personal API key anywhere the soonest you will see an image through the api is 1 week, using a personal api key will drop that time down to 48 hours or straight away depending if the person is a VIP or not, that doesn't include any further caching that the plugin itself implements. More information can be seen at https://fanart.tv/2015/01/personal-api-keys/
rmrector

Post by rmrector »

As to an alternative add-on, I have a suggestion. 4 months later, but still useful.

I've made an alternative Kodi add-on, Artwork Beef, that may suit you. The big feature is that it adds artwork for new items automatically. The shorter cache of API results may help with your particular issue, 3 days vs the 10 days that Artwork Downloader is set up with. It has been pretty stable for awhile, so I may lower it further. There are plenty of other features, check out the link for more.

And looking to the future, Kodi has had some recent development to improve the scrapers so that they can provide this artwork, which might be in Kodi 18 next year. That clears up the biggest reason either of these add-ons is needed in the first place, just adding the artwork.
Artwork Beef for Kodi.
zag
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zag »

rmrector wrote:As to an alternative add-on, I have a suggestion. 4 months later, but still useful.

I've made an alternative Kodi add-on, Artwork Beef, that may suit you. The big feature is that it adds artwork for new items automatically. The shorter cache of API results may help with your particular issue, 3 days vs the 10 days that Artwork Downloader is set up with. It has been pretty stable for awhile, so I may lower it further. There are plenty of other features, check out the link for more.

And looking to the future, Kodi has had some recent development to improve the scrapers so that they can provide this artwork, which might be in Kodi 18 next year. That clears up the biggest reason either of these add-ons is needed in the first place, just adding the artwork.
Yep the Python scraper system can support extra artwork like clearlogos. This should make it a lot easier to use.
vicmanpergar
VIP
VIP

Post by vicmanpergar »

rmrector wrote:As to an alternative add-on, I have a suggestion. 4 months later, but still useful.

I like ur add on but, mate, u need to add a secondary fall out language for artwork. Lot of ppl from other countries use for example, english disc if there's no disc in their language, and at the moment, I can't even see them in Artwork Beef to be able to chose something.
And I have an extra advice: would be nice to add something to the menus, to be sure u're using ur addon, cause in some installations it gets messy (I am not sure which context menu is Artwork Downloader and which one is Artwork Beef). Something like "AB:select artwork..." would be nice.
I'm looking forward ur addon buddy.