for those here using MusicBrainz Picard I have developed a plugin which uses fanart.tv as a cover art source. This allows you to use the cover art from fanart.tv in addition or as an alternative to the cover art sources already supported by Picard (Cover Art Archive and Amazon). For now the plugin can be downloaded on the Picard Plugins download page.
A few notes about the plugin:
- To install the plugin place the folder "fanarttv" included in the ZIP archive inside you Picard's plugin folder
- Picard 1.3 is required, the plugin does not work in earlier versions
- The plugin has an own options page, but if you enable the plugin you first have to close and reopen Picard's options in order to see the plugin options.
- Before you can use this plugin you have to get your personal API key on https://fanart.tv/get-an-api-key/ and enter it in the plugin options
- Picard will use the cover art sources in this order: CAA -> Amazon -> Cover Art URL ARs -> Plugins. If one source returns a valid cover art Picard will not query the other sources. So you might want to disable at least Amazon if you want to benefit from the high quality cover art on fanart.tv. The development version of Picard also allows you to specify the order in which the cover art sources are tried.
- If there are multiple images available the plugin will just use the first one. This could maybe be improved, e.g. choosing the one with the highest vote. But it actually looks like the API already returns the items ordered by votes.
UPDATE: I released a version 0.2 of the plugin which fixes bad error handling when fanart.tv did not provide the cover art for a release.
UPDATE 2015-10-09: Updated the download location, the old file download is outdated and not unavailable.