RSS Feeds for Activity

muppa
VIP
VIP

RSS Feeds for Activity

Post by muppa »

Hi,

I became a quite frequent visitor to this superb site and have a feature request some others may find also useful :). I usually visit the site multiple times a day and I really like seeing what stuff was recently added. Unfortunately the "Latest" gadgets display only the few latest contributions.

Is there a chance that there will be a RSS feed for each artwork category ? There could be feeds for each of the categories from Movies (HD ClearLogo, Discart, Posters etc.) and other from other artworks of coruse. Then I could add these feeds to my reader and would never miss if there are any new contributions. I think this useful, e.g. when waiting or looking for artworks for a special movie or seeing that there is a new fancy artwork for a movie I own. I would only have to check my RSS reader instead of scolling through all the stuff from the activity page.

Best regards
Marc
akovia
Admin
Admin

Re: RSS Feeds for Activity

Post by akovia »

This is a question for Kode but I'll chime in with my thoughts.

One very important aspect about this site that is lost on some people is voting on images. The truth is that the vast majority of our artwork is consumed by media centers via API downloads. When they download an image for a show it will select the default image. This is set for each show first by date, and then by votes. The only way to ensure that the best artwork gets set as the default image is by voting. So the goal here is to promote voting and make it as easy as possible for people to do so. Thankfully Kode added the voting feature directly to the activity stream not too long ago and it has made a big difference in the amount of voting that is done on the site.

It would be nice to be able to check category feeds to see what was approved recently, but I'd rather not have the full images available in the reader. For some people, this would remove the need to interact with the site as much. As this is a free site and service, we rely on support from the ads that are on the site as well as our VIP memberships. (VIP RSS maybe?)
So my point here is when you are presented with the full size image, you should also have the opportunity to vote right then as most will not go back to vote later.

With all that said, we have tried in the past to make the activity stream more accessible by adding page numbers and filters so you can drill down to the content you are interested in much easier but the activity stream is a programming beast that has not bent to our will easily. I hope this can be addressed in the future where you can select images only from the categories you are interested in. This should help unclutter the activity stream for categories you are not interested in. There has also been talk about being able to upload your media center DB in some capacity so that fanart.tv can notify you when new art is available for any show/music that you own. This is obviously a big undertaking but it is on the wish list for the future.

Cheers,
akovia
muppa
VIP
VIP

Post by muppa »

Hi akovia,

thank you for the explanation, I wasn't fully aware of this :). Given this I agree with you that the RSS feeds are not beneficial to the concept and see that it is not that good of an idea.

Regards
Marc
muppa
VIP
VIP

Post by muppa »

Was I blind before or is there now a "RSS" button on the activity page :shock: ?

Maybe a compromise would be to have an RSS feed, but not display the images there. Just the text and the entry is just a link to the actual page of the movie/artist/show where you can then download and vote.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

I believe the RSS you are seeing is for the blog posts. Let me know if you are seeing something different.
muppa
VIP
VIP

Post by muppa »

That's right, its the blog. This works for me getting a having a basic list of the new entries :). So far I am happy with that :D. The only thing what would be awesome if there are different feeds for each artwork category (movies, music etc.).

Thanks !!!
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

I'm hoping Kode will chime in here, but maybe categorized image feeds could be made as a VIP feature in the future. I am not a programmer so I won't speculate how difficult that would be.
In any case I do like the idea. ;)