User's Preferred Graphics Software

akovia
Admin
Admin

User's Preferred Graphics Software

Post by akovia »

I've wanted this for a while and have touched on it before, but would like to hear others idea on what a good way to implement this is.

What I want is a way for a user to identify his/her preferred graphics program and either have it listed under their avatar, or even a tiny graphic in the corner or their avatar denoting PS, Gimp, paint.net, etc..
This would be a huge help for moderators to be able to point users to the correct tutorials and resources without having to ask them and then keeping track of it, but would also be interesting to see what images are created with what.

Thoughts?
Obi-Wan

Re: User's Preferred Graphics Software

Post by Obi-Wan »

Good idea big white wolf :)
+1 from TAFKAS :)
leepenny

Post by leepenny »

now that is a great idea - usually I have to give a few links or message the user to find out their preferred program - this would cut down time indeed :)
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dybal »

Would this be optional? If it is most new users (the target demographic?) won't bother selecting a preference. :( Then there is the problem how you are going to handle existing accounts. I strongly prefer having it listed under their avatar instead of on it. Particularly if they select a couple of choices. There is plenty of space beneath the avatars even with banner images. You should be able to fit the tiny graphics under them.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Dybal wrote:Would this be optional? If it is most new users (the target demographic?) won't bother selecting a preference. :( Then there is the problem how you are going to handle existing accounts. I strongly prefer having it listed under their avatar instead of on it. Particularly if they select a couple of choices. There is plenty of space beneath the avatars even with banner images. You should be able to fit the tiny graphics under them.
Well these are the questions that need to be answered. I would hope all new users would be required to pick something before being able to complete registration. Even if it is none at the time, but it needs to be user changeable in case they start using new software. Having multiples would not be an option. It is used to set your "Preferred" software only. Anyone that is using more than one graphics programs regularly will probably not be the types that need us to be sending links to tutorials and such.

If implemented, I'd like to send out a mailer to existing users with a link to their profile page, or wherever the setting ends up. I think most active users would happily set their preference. If it was a real problem, I guess we could do a check to see if it has been set before allowing any submitted art. It could pop up a message telling the user to set this before uploading.

We do need a list of the most used programs to choose from, with a spot for other. I do not want anyone to be able to type in anything as I can see that being abused. We can always add new software to the list if it is requested.

Sooo...
Photoshop
Gimp
Corel
Paint.net
etc..

I don't think we should have every single program available on the list, but only add to the most popular when requested. Otherwise the list would be very long and most can't really do more than basic editing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... cs_editors

I'd almost say that it needs to be a layer based editor to be on the list.
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dybal »

akovia wrote:If it was a real problem, I guess we could do a check to see if it has been set before allowing any submitted art. It could pop up a message telling the user to set this before uploading.
This gets my vote. A check to see if the preferred graphics software preference is unset when submitting an image then, if unset, making the user choose an option first. This keeps account creation simple, no special case for old vs new users and will even catch regulars who can't be bothered to pick an avatar. ;) Plus, aren't there some accounts that are just for requesting images and/or voting?
akovia wrote:I don't think we should have every single program available on the list, but only add to the most popular when requested. Otherwise the list would be very long and most can't really do more than basic editing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... cs_editors
No love for vector based editors? I regularly use Inkscape when doing logos. It's also what I used for my one cdArt except for a few minor touches at the end.
Hazmat
VIP
VIP

Post by Hazmat »

I really like this idea. I think we should add Adobe Illustrator(already have a tutorial that uses this program) and Inkscape to the list though.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Dybal wrote:A check to see if the preferred graphics software preference is unset when submitting an image then, if unset, making the user choose an option first.
I like it too but depends how hard it would be for Kode to implement. Hopefully it's doable but I leave to Kode to weigh the pros and cons.
Hazmat wrote:I really like this idea. I think we should add Adobe Illustrator(already have a tutorial that uses this program) and Inkscape to the list though.
I did think about this a little but maybe I dismissed it too early. There are probably some people making logos and such more than anything else. making these vector programs their preferred software. I think it would be rare, but possible. The other consideration is I can't imagine too many people crossing over though. The vast majority of PS users will use AI for vectors, and Inkscape for Gimp users.
Food for thought.
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

Would probably be fairly easy to implement, just get me a final list of all possible options and I'll look into it
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Kode wrote:Would probably be fairly easy to implement, just get me a final list of all possible options and I'll look into it
Well I think we should just start with the basics and hopefully be able to add to the list as people request.
I honestly believe that 90% of our regular contributors use either PS or gimp. Probably more. If it will be difficult to add to the choices list on the fly, we could always just group them under other. In these cases it would be hard to help them anyway as most mods won't know the software well enough to direct them. In these cases we can just point them to the right terminology to search for in google or youtube to get help with their software.

We should also have a none option for people only making requests.

After more thought I think it would be best to just keep PS/AI and Gimp/Inkscape grouped together.
Lastly, I'm hoping this (tag?) will follow the user's name throughout the site. If not, I think the Pending, Activity Stream, and User Page would be the critical places in that order.

So....
Photoshop (AI)
Gimp (Inkscape)
Corel
Paint.net
Other
None