Higher resolution for posters

User avatar
shevman
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: Higher resolution for posters

Post by shevman »

No, No, No and no again
I would not want to make this idea was implemented
I understand 20K :lol: :lol: :lol: and other technology, but now is a shitty time
when, Distribution to fight for their images against piracy! :shock: :?
Here is an example of a recent case with a website :arrow: CineMaterial
Disney their nailed :( now out there are no posters from Disney, Marvel etc

I'm not will to discuss this topic, this is my first and last opinion: no (at the moment) ;)
User avatar
Nopealope
VIP
VIP
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:50 am

Re: Higher resolution for posters

Post by Nopealope »

What do DMCA takedowns have to do with higher resolution posters?

It must be done! The 70"+ UHD screens demand it!
User avatar
Nopealope
VIP
VIP
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:50 am

Re: Higher resolution for posters

Post by Nopealope »

JUST DO IT ALREADY
User avatar
sirreef
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:45 am

Re: Higher resolution for posters

Post by sirreef »

I have to agree.

I used to make artwork when everything was in it's nascent stages - and, looking back on my learning experience, I made *ALL* the common mistakes.

As I decided to revamp my movie collection and create artwork again - I'm stumped as to why FanArt.TV has opted to ignore the resolution and screen size changes. I just built some really clean Black Sails season posters at 2000x3000 - and have nowhere to upload them since tMDB doesn't have "season" posters.

In my opinion, artwork must adapt to the larger displays and take advantage of it. It's not like modern PC processors have issues keeping up with these larger files.

I love FanArt.tv's adherence to quality, different artwork types and standards - but I think this decision to avoid higher resolution poster/backgrounds might be short sighted.

Additionally, I have to agree with Nopealope - if/when you change to higher resolutions, please look at adapting the 1:1.5 ratio. Most of the skins in media players are built around this standard.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on the subject.
User avatar
Nopealope
VIP
VIP
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:50 am

Re: Higher resolution for posters

Post by Nopealope »

sirreef wrote:I have to agree.

I used to make artwork when everything was in it's nascent stages - and, looking back on my learning experience, I made *ALL* the common mistakes.

As I decided to revamp my movie collection and create artwork again - I'm stumped as to why FanArt.TV has opted to ignore the resolution and screen size changes. I just built some really clean Black Sails season posters at 2000x3000 - and have nowhere to upload them since tMDB doesn't have "season" posters.

In my opinion, artwork must adapt to the larger displays and take advantage of it. It's not like modern PC processors have issues keeping up with these larger files.

I love FanArt.tv's adherence to quality, different artwork types and standards - but I think this decision to avoid higher resolution poster/backgrounds might be short sighted.

Additionally, I have to agree with Nopealope - if/when you change to higher resolutions, please look at adapting the 1:1.5 ratio. Most of the skins in media players are built around this standard.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on the subject.
*thumbs up*

For the record though, TMDb does have season posters. Once you've gone to an individual season ("view all seasons") it'll be season posters when you click images. So please upload those Black Sails season posters so I can download them! lol
User avatar
sirreef
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:45 am

Re: Higher resolution for posters

Post by sirreef »

Nopealope wrote:For the record though, TMDb does have season posters. Once you've gone to an individual season ("view all seasons") it'll be season posters when you click images. So please upload those Black Sails season posters so I can download them! lol
I found the Season Posters right after posting that. I was like "this can't be right"...

Anyhow, the 2000x3000 Season Posters are uploaded to tMDB. Two versions:

1. Season Roman Numerals only in the format that matches the Episode format: I. , II., III., IV.
2. Season Written Out and then Stylized: Season I, Season II, Season III, Season IV

I just used the standard key art for each season, cleaned up the image (removed all non-essential text like Michael Bay's stuff and STARZ) and added the Season Name (and Title in some cases).

Hope you like 'em.
User avatar
Nopealope
VIP
VIP
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:50 am

Re: Higher resolution for posters

Post by Nopealope »

*ahem*

Y'all. It's time.
User avatar
shevman
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: Higher resolution for posters

Post by shevman »

I am not the admin and not the founder of this site, but I can say with full confidence that this idea will probably never be implemented!
It is still difficult to find posters in good quality for most movies and especially for TV shows. I know from my own experience because of the large contribution of posters to this site.

And please don't compare with TMDb! There are no rules about quality on TMDb, so there are possible downloads in any quality (even disgusting quality). That there are such very often. Some are blow-up, some have terrible compression artifacts.
I can also say about the iTunes site, where a lot of posters are just blow-up from small resolutions of 1000px.

And do not forget about the main problem, according to the rules, we do not allow posters with text, and this, again, is difficult to find textless posters or a posters with only a logo in excellent quality. If you remove all unnecessary text from a poster with a resolution of 2000×3000px, the amount of work is doubled compared to 1000×1426px. And it takes a lot of time to do the job of carefully removing unnecessary text from the poster.

on 4K 3840×2160; 4096×1716 posters with a resolution of 1000×1426px look just great.
And I really don't understand your indignation.

Also note that the logos are 800×310px, very well fits into a posters textless with a resolution of 1000×1426px. which will not be possible for posters in other resolutions.

and according to Kode, it can only do this in a new location:
Kode wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:04 pm but it could be incorporated into the new site.
And as a moderator, I've denied quite a few posters for new releases of TV shows due to poor quality, and tried to find better ones to help users but without success, let alone what would happen for the 3000px resolution.
I just want to say, what is the point of adding a new resolution if out of 100% of the movies/tv shows you will find only 5% of the posters with a resolution of 3000px in excellent quality.
I'm just sure that if a new resolution is opened, we will get a very large number of denials, because of our rule: "Only high quality images will be accepted. No Exceptions."
the minimum file size of a poster with a resolution of 3000px, I believe, should be at least 3-4mb.
1mb for 3000px is just terribly funny, it's a mockery of the image! in which block compression artifacts already appear.
User avatar
akovia
Admin
Admin
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Re: Higher resolution for posters

Post by akovia »

Well said Shevman.
I have nothing to add.
User avatar
Nopealope
VIP
VIP
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:50 am

Re: Higher resolution for posters

Post by Nopealope »

shevman wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:00 am I am not the admin and not the founder of this site, but I can say with full confidence that this idea will probably never be implemented!
It is still difficult to find posters in good quality for most movies and especially for TV shows. I know from my own experience because of the large contribution of posters to this site.

And please don't compare with TMDb! There are no rules about quality on TMDb, so there are possible downloads in any quality (even disgusting quality). That there are such very often. Some are blow-up, some have terrible compression artifacts.
I can also say about the iTunes site, where a lot of posters are just blow-up from small resolutions of 1000px.

And do not forget about the main problem, according to the rules, we do not allow posters with text, and this, again, is difficult to find textless posters or a posters with only a logo in excellent quality. If you remove all unnecessary text from a poster with a resolution of 2000×3000px, the amount of work is doubled compared to 1000×1426px. And it takes a lot of time to do the job of carefully removing unnecessary text from the poster.

on 4K 3840×2160; 4096×1716 posters with a resolution of 1000×1426px look just great.
And I really don't understand your indignation.

Also note that the logos are 800×310px, very well fits into a posters textless with a resolution of 1000×1426px. which will not be possible for posters in other resolutions.

and according to Kode, it can only do this in a new location:
Kode wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:04 pm but it could be incorporated into the new site.
And as a moderator, I've denied quite a few posters for new releases of TV shows due to poor quality, and tried to find better ones to help users but without success, let alone what would happen for the 3000px resolution.
I just want to say, what is the point of adding a new resolution if out of 100% of the movies/tv shows you will find only 5% of the posters with a resolution of 3000px in excellent quality.
I'm just sure that if a new resolution is opened, we will get a very large number of denials, because of our rule: "Only high quality images will be accepted. No Exceptions."
the minimum file size of a poster with a resolution of 3000px, I believe, should be at least 3-4mb.
1mb for 3000px is just terribly funny, it's a mockery of the image! in which block compression artifacts already appear.
I haven't contributed to fanart.tv in a while (due to the low resolution), but the vast majority of the posters I did contribute were sized down from 2000x3000, 1600x2400, 1400x2100, etc. I'm well acquainted with removing text since that is what I spent the majority of my time doing on my posters. For that to look really good you need a high quality source to begin with. It seems silly to be to resize down to 1000x1426 in an era when our flagship consumer TV's are now 7680x4320.

Low quality submissions will be denied like normal. I don't get the quality argument. The strict adherence to quality is the reason why fanart.tv should embrace higher resolution images.
Post Reply