Higher resolution for posters

Nopealope
VIP
VIP

Re: Higher resolution for posters

Post by Nopealope »

Exactly right, which is why I'm proposing an additional UHD Poster category and not that you replace the current resolution with a newer one. If the assets are available we should be able to use them!

I mean, the fact remains that TMDB typically has higher quality posters than fanart.tv. That doesn't bother any of you? I thought the entire point of this site was to be the oasis of high quality artwork.
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

I'd actually prefer to allow posters to be added at an additional size rather than a brand new category. Not somethng that is currently possible, but it could be incorporated into the new site. But I don't do the moderation.
Nopealope
VIP
VIP

Post by Nopealope »

Kode wrote:I'd actually prefer to allow posters to be added at an additional size rather than a brand new category. Not somethng that is currently possible, but it could be incorporated into the new site. But I don't do the moderation.
That would be even better, I was just championing the new category thing because that's what you did with the clear logos. Supporting higher resolutions in one general category would be perfect as long as each poster has its resolution individually listed before you download it.

Please please pretty please just switch to 1:1.5 if/when you do that. :P
QuizKid

Post by QuizKid »

I usually go for 1400x2100 for posters I make, then reframe/downsize to 1000x1426.

That's 1:1.5 and is also the size used by iTunes etc, so there are plenty of assets available at that size if you can't find the larger assets anywhere.

It's easy to access the ones on the iTunes database here, in case anyone hasn't used this: http://bendodson.com/code/itunes-artwor ... index.html
Nopealope
VIP
VIP

Post by Nopealope »

QuizKid wrote:It's easy to access the ones on the iTunes database here, in case anyone hasn't used this: http://bendodson.com/code/itunes-artwor ... index.html
Yep! I get like 90% of my movie posters from there. :D

I've also found quite a few 1600x2400 from iTunes, and today I even saw a 2000x3000! Posters are getting nice and large. :mrgreen:
Hazmat
VIP
VIP

Post by Hazmat »

Have been thinking about this thread for a couple of weeks now and wanted to share my thoughts.

I agree that a resolution bump up should come quite soon with 4K right around the corner. The standard for blu ray discs in 4K TVs has already been set and blu ray players to support them are coming out by the end of this year. The problem with 4K TVs has been that there hasn't been much content for it outside of Netflix and a few other services, but I think that is set to change by next year and it wouldn't hurt to adjust accordingly. The question is how do we adjust?

First off, I agree with Nopealope when he says that 7mb+ file sizes are insane and regardless of the resolution jump, the file size should sit around 1mb at most. I don't have a massive collection of movies or tv shows, or a massive amount of storage to even store the content if I wanted to. I upload stuff for fun. :D

I truly do like the way that TMDB allows uploads by ratio. For Fanart.tv, I think we could implement something similar and here are some brainstormed rules of how it would work:

1. Minimum for each upload, regardless of category, would be the set standard as it is right now on Fanart.tv, so posters would all need to be 1000x1426 minimum and HD Clearart would be minimum 10000x562.

2. All old content that doesn't allow uploads any longer should be merged with HD version of that category(HD Clearart & clearart should merge for example). Similar to how language is selected for a piece of artwork and how it is displayed for each artwork on the site, the quality of the image would be listed as "HD" or "SD". There is a reason I recommend this for the system to be similar to everything else, keep reading.

3. There should certainly be a maximum resolution for artwork as well. No need for 8000 pixel wide posters. Maybe the new system could have a dropdown when uploading and you can select whether the image is 1000x1426, 1400x1996(comes from 1400x2100), or 2000x2852(comes from 2000x3000). All posters would remain under the poster category, they are just assigned a title similar to languages, so 1000x1426 could be "HD", 1400x1996 could be "QHD" and 2000x2852 could be "UHD". This concept could be applied to all categories, not just posters.

If we link everything when uploading by ratio, then we could have various resolutions in between the two new resolutions I mentioned which could led to a couple of problems in the future. By defining what the new resolutions are while maintaining that we could still upload at standards that are implemented right now as well(such as 1000x1426 as minimum for posters), I believe this new system will help future proof the site and prevent the need for future HD categories for sections such as "HD Posters". (Until 8K becomes a standard that is in like 10 years lol, then we could just add a new resolution or two to the dropdown of the new system)
Nopealope
VIP
VIP

Post by Nopealope »

Hazmat wrote:Have been thinking about this thread for a couple of weeks now and wanted to share my thoughts.

I agree that a resolution bump up should come quite soon with 4K right around the corner. The standard for blu ray discs in 4K TVs has already been set and blu ray players to support them are coming out by the end of this year. The problem with 4K TVs has been that there hasn't been much content for it outside of Netflix and a few other services, but I think that is set to change by next year and it wouldn't hurt to adjust accordingly. The question is how do we adjust?

First off, I agree with Nopealope when he says that 7mb+ file sizes are insane and regardless of the resolution jump, the file size should sit around 1mb at most. I don't have a massive collection of movies or tv shows, or a massive amount of storage to even store the content if I wanted to. I upload stuff for fun. :D

I truly do like the way that TMDB allows uploads by ratio. For Fanart.tv, I think we could implement something similar and here are some brainstormed rules of how it would work:

1. Minimum for each upload, regardless of category, would be the set standard as it is right now on Fanart.tv, so posters would all need to be 1000x1426 minimum and HD Clearart would be minimum 10000x562.

2. All old content that doesn't allow uploads any longer should be merged with HD version of that category(HD Clearart & clearart should merge for example). Similar to how language is selected for a piece of artwork and how it is displayed for each artwork on the site, the quality of the image would be listed as "HD" or "SD". There is a reason I recommend this for the system to be similar to everything else, keep reading.

3. There should certainly be a maximum resolution for artwork as well. No need for 8000 pixel wide posters. Maybe the new system could have a dropdown when uploading and you can select whether the image is 1000x1426, 1400x1996(comes from 1400x2100), or 2000x2852(comes from 2000x3000). All posters would remain under the poster category, they are just assigned a title similar to languages, so 1000x1426 could be "HD", 1400x1996 could be "QHD" and 2000x2852 could be "UHD". This concept could be applied to all categories, not just posters.

If we link everything when uploading by ratio, then we could have various resolutions in between the two new resolutions I mentioned which could led to a couple of problems in the future. By defining what the new resolutions are while maintaining that we could still upload at standards that are implemented right now as well(such as 1000x1426 as minimum for posters), I believe this new system will help future proof the site and prevent the need for future HD categories for sections such as "HD Posters". (Until 8K becomes a standard that is in like 10 years lol, then we could just add a new resolution or two to the dropdown of the new system)
Great points, Hazmat. I agree with pretty much everything you suggested (aside from maintaining the silly non-standard resolutions, of course ;)).

That said, I've come to learn some new info about how TMDB is handling the huge ass images. The giant ones are just left over from a time when they didn't have instant server-side compression running in the background. Now they DO have that, so any new uploads are automatically compressed on their end into files around 1MB in size. For example, a 2000x3000 poster I uploaded had an original file size of 2.7 MB; its current size on TMDB is now just over 800 KB. The old uncompressed images will all be automatically compressed within the next 11 months or so at different intervals.

So I guess their system does make sense, they now want people to upload all images at 100% quality with no compression since the server will automatically compress everything after its uploaded. At some point in the future I believe they would like to implement some sort of monetization system that will give "VIP" members access to the full-size, uncompressed masters if they want them. Pretty smart, especially when you consider textless assets that don't have an upper limit on resolution. I commonly find textless posters on TMDB at crazy resolutions like 3000x4500. Sometimes larger!

That's... an absolutely flawless system for posters and backgrounds. The only downside to TMDB is the lack of moderation, but even that is negated somewhat by the new "Primary" designation. TMDB mods can now set a single poster/background as the "primary" for a given entry, which overrides whatever has the most votes to become what is automatically scraped by the API. As time passes and more entries are updated, the problem of receiving low-quality images from TMDB scraping will pretty much disappear. If you have your media center set to auto refresh metadata every few days then it will fully disspear after enough time since you'll automatically scrape a new "primary" image whenever one is set.

Honestly? You guys should reach out to them and try to implement a system that automatically copies over new uploads from fanart.tv to TMDB. Have them put under an account called "fanart.tv" or something for exposure. Because yeah, they basically have posters perfected. It's better for everyone if there's a single centralized resource for stuff like this (though I do still cherish fanart.tv for the worry-free acquisition of backrounds). I don't know how feasible such a partnership would be... but man, it sure would be great for us end-users if you guys could make it happen.
Nopealope
VIP
VIP

Post by Nopealope »

Just bumping this because it would be nice to not have to manually download posters for every movie I add to my Plex server.

I have fanart.tv set as the primary asset source, but the posters are too low-resolution these days. I recently returned here and see that you increased the resolution for some other sections—why not posters?

I've been uploading some dope posters to TMDB for the past year and not bothering to resize down for fanart.tv. =(
Nopealope
VIP
VIP

Post by Nopealope »

Kode...

Hazmat
VIP
VIP

Post by Hazmat »

I think with 4K televisions becoming a lot more common now than 2 years ago when this topic was created, it might be time to revisit this.