New image type

Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

New image type

Post by Kode »

We have been approached by a mediabrowser skin developer, after some discussion we have decided to add a new image type to the movie section.

This image type has been discussed before but never really went anywhere, but if we can come to some kind of agreement it will be implemented imminently.

The image is basically a whole cover image, so back, spine and front.

We need to decide on the size and rules.

Please contribute your thoughts to this discussion.
leepenny

Re: New image type

Post by leepenny »

hmm interesting thought, I was wondering how this is implemented in mediabrowser as I cant see what sort of view you would use to successfully integrate a whole flat image of a dvd/blu ray cover - I have seen people use the spine,front and back separate so they can 'create' a 3d case with various animations, but am intrigued as to how its going to integrate into a skin.
I would be interested as to how the image is manipulated if the developer is going to wrap an image around a case template.
Size is also interesting as dvd boxes are different to bluray in dimension - so even the poster sizes we use wouldnt be 'correct' for blu ray.
Just my 2c cents (or 2 pence in UK LOL)
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

well the dimensions would be set, so to get the back you would do 0-500px to get the spine 500px - 580px, to get the front 580px - 1080px (these arent the actual dimensions, just an example), the only difference is instead of having to download 3 seperate, probably mismatched images you download a single, uniform image, and in effect use it like a sprite.

Currently posters are used for blurays on all skins on all mediacentres, so the size is in effect the same as a dvd box anyway, akovia has mentioned he would prefer to keep just one size, but we are putting it out here for public opinion and will make the final decision based on that.

*edit* we have seen a sneak preview on how it looks and works in the skin, and it looks very cool.
leepenny

Post by leepenny »

I see............thats a cool way of implementing an image (effectively masking off the section of image you need to use. I LOVE it !)
Was only thinking this week after looking around media centre forums that a more 3d involved type of skin was begging to be done and this would open up a world of possibilites.
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

I think it should be 1000x1426 for front and back (same as now) and 109x1426 for the spine giving a total of 2109x1426. That is consistent with the dvd cover measurments (http://didthemovie.files.wordpress.com/ ... ycover.gif). I also think the same rules should be applied for the cover fronts as to the posters. Text should obviously be allowed on the back, but not on the front or the spine.

I can't decide however if compny logos and DVD/BD logos should be allowed. Same goes for other texts related to the company and not the movie. Perhaps it will look a bit empty if we just allow movie descriptions and images on the back.

Who's the developer by the way? Would you share the sneak preview?
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

I'm still on the fence on which way this should head so I've been reading what's been put forth so far.

I think there are a couple ways of handling this.
Both of these routes need to be fleshed out more, but here's the basic synopsis.
  1. 1. The way @Tobby suggested.
    This would keep in line with what we already have as far as size and cover rules, but would require that covers be "constructed".
  • 2. Allow "stock covers"
    I don't know if a common ratio could be found to resize SD and Blu-Ray into the same template, but it may be worth a look. (@Tobby, do you have a link the shows a similar layout for Blu-Rays?)
    This route would allow for stock text on the covers minus any stickers or other overlays that are tacked on by distributors.

There are some issues that must be considered in either case of course.
  • Source Content
    @ArieS brought up the fact that the only real source for back covers are gonna be scans. If any of you have moderated cdart, you know that most people are not very adept at scanning properly to remove moire and scan lines.
  • Adoption Rate
    This may turn into something bigger, but for now this art will only be used for a not yet released skin for Media Browser. While it is a popular media center, (#5 on our API traffic) it is still not the powerhouse that is XBMC. I think we should do a poll to see how many people will contribute to this.
I would love to see the skin developer join the discussion here. I just don't want to do a bunch of backtracking later.

With all this said, I have seen the video demo as well and must admit it's pretty damn cool. I hope the dev will release the video soon for public consumption as it might help drive which way we should go with this.

Edit: I contacted the dev and asked him to join the discussion here.
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

akovia wrote:I'm still on the fence on which way this should head so I've been reading what's been put forth so far.

I think there are a couple ways of handling this.
Both of these routes need to be fleshed out more, but here's the basic synopsis.
  1. 1. The way @Tobby suggested.
    This would keep in line with what we already have as far as size and cover rules, but would require that covers be "constructed".
  • 2. Allow "stock covers"
    I don't know if a common ratio could be found to resize SD and Blu-Ray into the same template, but it may be worth a look. (@Tobby, do you have a link the shows a similar layout for Blu-Rays?)
    This route would allow for stock text on the covers minus any stickers or other overlays that are tacked on by distributors.

There are some issues that must be considered in either case of course.
  • Source Content
    @ArieS brought up the fact that the only real source for back covers are gonna be scans. If any of you have moderated cdart, you know that most people are not very adept at scanning properly to remove moire and scan lines.
  • Adoption Rate
    This may turn into something bigger, but for now this art will only be used for a not yet released skin for Media Browser. While it is a popular media center, (#5 on our API traffic) it is still not the powerhouse that is XBMC. I think we should do a poll to see how many people will contribute to this.
I would love to see the skin developer join the discussion here. I just don't want to do a bunch of backtracking later.

With all this said, I have seen the video demo as well and must admit it's pretty damn cool. I hope the dev will release the video soon for public consumption as it might help drive which way we should go with this.

Edit: I contacted the dev and asked him to join the discussion here.
I found this: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/ ... 27c5do.jpg

That would be front and back 1000x1175, spine 1000x95 with a total of 2095x1175 however the spine sizes on Blu-rays vary alot so to make it simpler we could use a 109 wide spine like on the DVD covers.

As far as source content goes on the back covers perhaps that's where our member will have to show some creativity and either recreate them, erase the ugly stuff or do a custom job. Even though it will be harder I would find it extremely weird that we've built up a pretty big collection of posters with zero tolerance on any text other than logos and slogans just to start uploading full size covers with text just ike that all over them.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Tobby wrote: I found this: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/ ... 27c5do.jpg

That would be front and back 1000x1175, spine 1000x95 with a total of 2095x1175 however the spine sizes on Blu-rays vary alot so to make it simpler we could use a 109 wide spine like on the DVD covers.

As far as source content goes on the back covers perhaps that's where our member will have to show some creativity and either recreate them, erase the ugly stuff or do a custom job. Even though it will be harder I would find it extremely weird that we've built up a pretty big collection of posters with zero tolerance on any text other than logos and slogans just to start uploading full size covers with text just ike that all over them.
Thanks for seeking out that template.

I am personally leaning towards keeping the front cover rules the same across both categories, but I wanted to explore if SD and HD covers could be handled in a single template. If Blu-Ray spine dimensions vary as you say, then it's just not possible. I'd rather not have two separate sizes for back covers as it will only spread out our offerings. Anyone downloading art for a movie should not have to miss out because they have an SD version but someone only made art for the Blu-Ray version. Media centers already identify SD and HD video files and overlay a standard def dvd case and Blu-Ray case respectively. It would be a waste to offer two formats for this.

So at this point I'd agree with you. Keep the fronts and spines in line with our current rules and have a separate set of rules concerning the backs.
ie.. Stock text is fine but no distributor overlays, stickers and other non original content.
This will promote having to craft the covers instead of just scanning them in and sprucing them up some.
leedavies

Post by leedavies »

Hey guys, I'm the skin developer that raised this question. I've been a supporter of FanArt.tv for nearly 3 years now - you guys were how I learnt Photoshop. You gave me the motivation and I had the need for movie logos.

To better illustrate what I'm proposing, here's a short vidfeo clip of my new MediaBrowser skin, Aztec.

There are 2 ideas I have. The first is use back of case artwork where its available. The 2nd is to generate back of case artwork where it's not. The back of a case has a few simple elements - move overview, key cast, production year, runtime, rating and maybe a few stills. Any media system has all that available. Pulling it together is just layout. But a rear cover scan is a much nicer option.

Anyhow, check out this video which shows an Alpha version of Aztec and how the back covers are currently implemented...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr9OzjdENyY

Happy to discuss further. Any questions?
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

akovia wrote:
Tobby wrote: I found this: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/ ... 27c5do.jpg

Thanks for seeking out that template.

I am personally leaning towards keeping the front cover rules the same across both categories, but I wanted to explore if SD and HD covers could be handled in a single template. If Blu-Ray spine dimensions vary as you say, then it's just not possible. I'd rather not have two separate sizes for back covers as it will only spread out our offerings. Anyone downloading art for a movie should not have to miss out because they have an SD version but someone only made art for the Blu-Ray version. Media centers already identify SD and HD video files and overlay a standard def dvd case and Blu-Ray case respectively. It would be a waste to offer two formats for this.

So at this point I'd agree with you. Keep the fronts and spines in line with our current rules and have a separate set of rules concerning the backs.
ie.. Stock text is fine but no distributor overlays, stickers and other non original content.
This will promote having to craft the covers instead of just scanning them in and sprucing them up some.
I agree. The DVD-covers are enough.

I do want to make one exception from the poster rules and that is that the cover front and spine MUST have a logo.