New image type

Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New image type

Post by Kode »

Not sure the spine MUST have a logo, at least not the same as the one on the front, most of the blurays/dvds I have generally just have the name of the film using the same font/style as the logo.

It might be nice to allow people to upload resources, fonts if they are royalty free / open source, vector versions of logos, PSDs. Maybe only have these available to people who have x amount of approved images or something though.
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

Kode wrote:Not sure the spine MUST have a logo, at least not the same as the one on the front, most of the blurays/dvds I have generally just have the name of the film using the same font/style as the logo.

It might be nice to allow people to upload resources, fonts if they are royalty free / open source, vector versions of logos, PSDs. Maybe only have these available to people who have x amount of approved images or something though.
Well to me that too is a logo.
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

Ok, fair enough
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Thank you for spearheading this Tobby!
I like all your ideas on this.
I've solicited the skin development forum over at XBMC to see if any devs there would consider using this in any of their future skins so we could possibly get more input.

You can follow the thread there if you like.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182336
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

akovia wrote:
Thank you for spearheading this Tobby!
I like all your ideas on this.
I've solicited the skin development forum over at XBMC to see if any devs there would consider using this in any of their future skins so we could possibly get more input.

You can follow the thread there if you like.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182336
Does that mean I get a cookie? :)
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Tobby wrote:
akovia wrote:
Does that mean I get a cookie? :)
Oh hell no! You would need to stop screaming at people with your avatar first ;)

BTW, got a couple hits over at xbmc forums, might want to have a peek.
fatal

Post by fatal »

Hey,
well the dimensions would be set, so to get the back you would do 0-500px to get the spine 500px - 580px, to get the front 580px - 1080px (these arent the actual dimensions, just an example), the only difference is instead of having to download 3 seperate, probably mismatched images you download a single, uniform image, and in effect use it like a sprite.
My suggestion would be to have 3 separate image types - WholeCoverFront, WholeCoverBack, WholeCoverSpine and link them together with a common ID so you can associate the 3 images as one if needed...for example (linked by wholecoverid):

Code: Select all

<cover type="WholeCoverFront" id="1" wholecoverid="abcd1234" />
<cover type="WholeCoverBack" id="2" wholecoverid="abcd1234" />
<cover type="WholeCoverSpine" id="3" wholecoverid="abcd1234" />
The reason for this is b/c I think the images are more likely to be used (and prob easier) individually than as 1 full image.

Maybe also a 4th image type, WholeCover, which is the full image (all 3 front/back/spine) as you were initially intending to do.

Just a suggestion and something to think over I guess as far as usability of the images for different frontends, ie, xbmc...I would maybe have a dev/skinner from there chime in as well on the best use of the images.

Take Care
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kode »

That's a possibility fatal, but much, much harder to implement and manage (front and spine might be approved, back might be rejected, plus it would be 3-4 entirely seperate sections that needed moderating), Martijn has told me before it's trivial to get the downloading plugin to chop up the images, but there seems little interest in the back covers on the XBMC forum so I doubt he would implement it in Artwork Downloader, or at least until/unless a few skins started wanting it.
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

akovia wrote:Oh hell no! You would need to stop screaming at people with your avatar first ;)
Hey hey hey... Hey!! I've been screaming at peolpe with this avatar since before you where born! Okay, maybe not, but it's been with me for several years and I aint about to change it. ;)