New image formats

Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

New image formats

Post by Kode »

We have had requests for 3 new image formats for the new site, wanted to gauge peoples opinions on them.

SVG logos
Vector logos that can be resized without losing any quality.

Parallax images
Similar to the apple effect here https://youtu.be/Py21jv6kCnI here is an emulated version in html: http://codepen.io/mariusbalaj/pen/MaKRar
Basically you have several layers (we would probably specify between 2 - 10), that can be moved independantly

Album back covers
http://sleevenote.info/ asked us about the possibility of adding back covers

Basically it comes down to a couple of things, would people be willing to create the images and would people be willing to moderate the images.
MrTinkertrain
Veteran
Veteran

Re: New image formats

Post by MrTinkertrain »

Since I only do album covers, I'll stick to giving my opinion regarding the adding of back covers ;)

On one hand I think it could be a good addition to the site.
Since "we" already offer the front covers and cd art, adding back covers would offer a complete package so to say.

But I also think there's a downside to it
When working on covers I find that fixing up texts can be quite a painstaking and time consuming job sometimes.
But front covers usually don't have a whole lot of text on it, so it's doable.

Back covers on the other hand usually have a plethora of text going on, so I'm thinking that could scare a lot of people off of working on back covers.
I'm currently spending quite a bit of time working on front covers alone, so I guess I would stay away from back covers myself.
ZincRider
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZincRider »

If we do back covers, we should differentiate between releases and not only release groups.

I'm all for svg logos.
defoam

Post by defoam »

As a lover of show and movie logos I'd love to see SVG be incorporated into the site. Album back covers I really don't see a use for but I'm not really that hardcore into music organization either.
shevman

Post by shevman »

This is just my opinion :D

About Album back covers:
I agree with
MrTinkertrain wrote: But I also think there's a downside to it
When working on covers I find that fixing up texts can be quite a painstaking and time consuming job sometimes.
For back covers will require much more work, especially for older covers.
I don't know will whether the guys doing the hard work, given that the front cover doesn't always match the quality.
Or to change the priorities in quality, for the back covers. :-)
I am not an expert in Music covers, but I know that have the back cover has a lot of text and it will be a time-consuming process about quality.

About Parallax images:
Same again, it time-consuming process of working images in layers. That is, the separation of any objects, the character from the background. It will practically seem to work HD ClearArt. And according to statistics on the site, not all work with HD ClearArts, imagine what will happen to these. Although..., who knows.
There poster http://codepen.io/mariusbalaj/pen/MaKRar was made from the original layer from the distribution "Paramount" where the character is separate from background. Therefore there all so great.
Looks great, but many whether will do that?
For me personally it's not a problem, though not always. :-)

About SVG logos:
I have never worked with the format SVG, but I think that there is nothing difficult, to saves them SVG. :-)
vicmanpergar
VIP
VIP

Post by vicmanpergar »

I guess the best likely to be implemented would be SVG logos, but I agree with Shevman and other guys about the rest. There're scripts I think, at least for Kodi, that automatically fake the back of the music covers and even Movie boxes. And if u wanna be true to the original and keep a high quality, it will soon become really difficult i bet.
SimonV

Post by SimonV »

+1 for SVG logos :)
shevman

Post by shevman »

Well same people, crawling out of their lairs :D

Need opinions, the more the better. No matter what opinion, the main thing to he was. Feel free ;)
muppa
VIP
VIP

Post by muppa »

I agree with you guys :-).

Back covers would be cool of course, but I guess they are a hell lot of work because of the text. SVG logos would be a good idea, I have a .svg file for most of the ones I do anyway :D.
zag
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zag »

+1 for SVG and album back covers.

I added them to TADB a few years ago when the sleeve-note guy contacted me as well.

I also like the album spines myself, but probably not relevant here.