Image Voting

akovia
Admin
Admin

Image Voting

Post by akovia »

Just want to get a feel of how and why people vote, and what you think we could do to promote more voting.

As most of you know, the media scrapers that access our site for artwork will pull the image with the most votes as the default image to download. Of course we would love to make sure that the image that is downloaded is the best we have to offer, but the only way to ensure this is through voting. So this is a call out for some ideas that would promote everyone to vote more.

My idea is to have the full image boxes that are used in the library and have them on the activity stream. You could then easily vote or even report an image a mod might have missed as you scroll the the stream without ever leaving the page. I think this would help, but I'd love to hear what others would do. Feel free to be creative as it will either be feasible or it won't.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Re: Image Voting

Post by akovia »

I think one of the best ways to vote is to go to a favorite artist's profile page and view their images.
ie..
http://fanart.tv/members/akovia/tv-images/hdclearart/
http://fanart.tv/members/shevman/movie- ... eclearart/
http://fanart.tv/members/aries/movie-im ... movielogo/
http://fanart.tv/members/leepenny/movie ... moviedisc/

It's a quick way to peruse and discover art you might have missed in the activity stream, and lets you vote without having to visit every single page. (Though I recommend visiting the individual pages for everything in your personal collection to make sure you are voting for the exact image you want in your collection.)

So maybe having a favorite artists list and you could be notified when they upload new art?
leepenny

Post by leepenny »

Only problem I can see when browsing a user with a large number of images is the sluggishness of the browser atm (especially for disc arts - which rotate, IMO spinning discs is not needed) - even I dont browse on my pc but rather through my htpc (minimal ubuntu) which gives me a more fluid experience.
But the over all idea is a good one (maybe having the last 10 images uploaded by that user at the top of the page ?) - sometimes I can lose track of a disc especially if it suddenly gets a couple of +1's (not that i'm complaining LOL)
I like the voting system as it gives me an idea of what types of effects and layouts work (and which do not) - so always on a learning curve
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

leepenny wrote:Only problem I can see when browsing a user with a large number of images is the sluggishness of the browser atm (especially for disc arts - which rotate, IMO spinning discs is not needed) - even I dont browse on my pc but rather through my htpc (minimal ubuntu) which gives me a more fluid experience.
But the over all idea is a good one (maybe having the last 10 images uploaded by that user at the top of the page ?) - sometimes I can lose track of a disc especially if it suddenly gets a couple of +1's (not that i'm complaining LOL)
I like the voting system as it gives me an idea of what types of effects and layouts work (and which do not) - so always on a learning curve
Good points and I think they could be addressed by a user setting to select how many images per page to display. A filter wouldn't hurt either to sort by date, vote, or alpha.
Whadda ya think?
leepenny

Post by leepenny »

custom filtering would be a good idea and less images per page would help browsing large collections much less of a 'trawl' for most.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

How about something like this for the image box in the activity stream.

This would make for less scrolling than using the standard tall image box. Maybe we could do something completely custom from scratch instead.
schimi2k
Veteran
Veteran

Post by schimi2k »

akovia wrote:How about something like this for the image box in the activity stream.

This would make for less scrolling than using the standard tall image box. Maybe we could do something completely custom from scratch instead.
would be a great idea :)
eidolen

Post by eidolen »

Maybe this would look a little better, but the full image still needs to be available by clicking on the thumb.

leepenny

Post by leepenny »

any news on this - could you disable disc rotation ? IMO not needed
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

leepenny wrote:any news on this - could you disable disc rotation ? IMO not needed
Waiting on our fearless leader to get some free time I think. This won't be a trivial change.