Images listed in a non-english language with english text

travla

Images listed in a non-english language with english text

Post by travla »

Hi there,
I’ve noticed a few images that are listed as a non-english language item, but the text is in english. My media management software (Metabrowser) is set to only download English images from fanart.tv. I can override this behaviour, but usually, the non-english versions of images are not suitable, hence why I have it set up the this way.

What is the correct protocol here? Do I ask the original user to re-upload another copy of the image as English? I thought it would be bad etiquette to re-upload on their behalf, since it’s someone elses work.

Cheers,

travla
Kode
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Images listed in a non-english language with english tex

Post by Kode »

Report them and say the language set is wrong, a mod should be able to change the language
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Kode wrote:Report them and say the language set is wrong, a mod should be able to change the language
I'm not sure this is the answer if the foreign title is in English, as they are setting the proper language for their submission.
If a user has their preferred language set as say german, that image won't be served to german users even though it should. This wouldn't be a problem for most titles as english is english, but some foreign titles use english but it's actually a different title than we use for the US. I've been through this many times with schimi2k and other users.
travla

Post by travla »

Strictly speaking, the artwork should be listed as the language that the text is written in. But I understand your point to akovia when the title for the film in a foreign language is the English title. Could we have a means to instantiate the image in to another language, and retaining the credit to the original creator of the artwork?
Nopealope
VIP
VIP

Post by Nopealope »

While we're at it, is there any way to filter out any images that aren't in your preferred language? Especially for the personal API. There are many movies that have non-English posters in the top voted slot. Kind of annoying to have those be the default image in your media center if you can't even read the title. :P
hslansky

Post by hslansky »

This thread seems to have gone cold. I was wondering if there were any further ideas on how to handle these situations. For example, the movie "Spider-Man 2 (2004)" has many HD Clear Art and Movie Thumbs that are all marked as French. The only wording on these images is "Spider-Man 2" which obviously is English. Since they are marked as French and I have Ember Media Manager set to only select English images these are not selected.

On a side note, why is there a language for Backgrounds? Aren't they supposed to be text free?
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

hslansky wrote:This thread seems to have gone cold. I was wondering if there were any further ideas on how to handle these situations. For example, the movie "Spider-Man 2 (2004)" has many HD Clear Art and Movie Thumbs that are all marked as French. The only wording on these images is "Spider-Man 2" which obviously is English. Since they are marked as French and I have Ember Media Manager set to only select English images these are not selected.

On a side note, why is there a language for Backgrounds? Aren't they supposed to be text free?
Neither of these issues have been forgotten and are both being addressed on the new site. Just hang in there a bit longer. ;)
vicmanpergar
VIP
VIP

Post by vicmanpergar »

akovia wrote:
Kode wrote:Report them and say the language set is wrong, a mod should be able to change the language
I'm not sure this is the answer if the foreign title is in English, as they are setting the proper language for their submission.
If a user has their preferred language set as say german, that image won't be served to german users even though it should. This wouldn't be a problem for most titles as english is english, but some foreign titles use english but it's actually a different title than we use for the US. I've been through this many times with schimi2k and other users.

Agree, there're lot of movies in my country (Spain) whose title is the same than in english, while other ones are not (often with translations that have nothing to do with the original one, lol). But it can be even trickier, since i have seen very different titles in english both, for different countries.
Personally i do a investigation on the net prior to make any art, to put the correct title in the correct country, even if it is english, but it's true that sometimes, making spanish art, i am not sure which way to go, and i make only the english one and not the spanish when both are the same title.