Need advice on how to fix a fade at the edge

Get help on how to create or improve an image.
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Need advice on how to fix a fade at the edge

Post by Dybal »

I've had no luck in trying to search how to fix this. I'm apparently not using the correct terms. Do let me know if anyone needs any links on how to fade the edges of a picture.

Left is a crop of the original edge, blacks adjusted, with the fade. On the right is akovia's fixed version:
Image Image

I think this will work for the full version:
How would I go about replicating such a feat? Also, admit to being a bit lazy here, what's a good way to clean up the dust.
Last edited by Dybal on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Re: Need advice on how to fix a fade at the edge

Post by akovia »

Sorry Dybal, almost overlooked this.
Hopefully this will be of some help.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/935 ... -Exile.mkv
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dybal »

akovia wrote:Hopefully this will be of some help.
Great stuff. I knew I was forgetting somthing, GIMP and Linux user. I just submitted the newly finished image. I guess we'll see if I was paying attention. ;)

I've used the clone tool before, but I only discovered what the heal tool actually does last week. Great explanation between the two, solid practical application and even the burn tool for good measure. You might want to think about adding it to your Gimp from scratch Tutorials. The video was very helpful.
vicmanpergar
VIP
VIP

Post by vicmanpergar »

Agree!
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Thanks guys. :)
I thought I covered most everything here in other videos which is why I hadn't considered adding this to youtube. If anything, maybe I can do a new video that covers scan cleanup that is less personalized. I could cover the 3 tools from this video and anything else I can think of that would be relevant. Let me know what you think.
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dybal »

akovia wrote:Thanks guys. :)
I thought I covered most everything here in other videos which is why I hadn't considered adding this to youtube.
You've touched on both tools individually at least. Can't remember if you have done both together, but either way this a particularly good explanation of them. From a beginner's perspective some minor repetition is probably a good thing. While both clone & heal have been introduced before, here we get to see them put to some different applications then we saw earlier. I did not think to even try the clone tool to fix the fade, and I likely wouldn't have started it on a transition if I had.
akovia wrote: If anything, maybe I can do a new video that covers scan cleanup that is less personalized. I could cover the 3 tools from this video and anything else I can think of that would be relevant. Let me know what you think.
If you are doing a new video than how about adding in a talkie version of your Gimp_Tutorial_Scan-Cleanup video?
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Sounds like a plan ;)
vicmanpergar
VIP
VIP

Post by vicmanpergar »

cool
(i know i sound short both times, but both times i was taking breakfast, yummmmmy)