What to look for in a new monitor?

Anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories, feel free to talk about whatever you like here.
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

What to look for in a new monitor?

Post by Dybal »

I'm in the market for a new monitor to replace the 19" 5:4 PoS I'm currently using. I haven't decided if I'm getting a 27" or just a 23" yet. I'm particularly interested, more from a graphics design perspective, what things you look for in a monitor.
schimi2k
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What to look for in a new monitor?

Post by schimi2k »

hey buddy :)
i bought a new screen a cpl of weeks before and its not so easy to find a nice one :)
1. - i would take a 27 inch ;) ( bigger is better ^^ )
2. how much money will u spend ? if u have enough money u should take a look at any "EIZO" screens ( graphic pro screens )
i doesnt want spend too much money for my new one - so i did some research and ended up with this one :
http://benq.de/product/monitor/gw2760hs
it have quite good specs for the price ( i pay around 219€ on amazon ) here u can find a big test of it ( in german :( )
i had an old asus before and after some guys in our IRC channel told me about dark areas that arent dark i noticed that i need a new screen - and after i get this benq i see a HUUUUUUUGHE different !!! ( and after 2hrs calibrating ^^ )
so i can say - the benq is a good allrounder screen :) but when u are rich and dont have money problems try an eizo ^^
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dybal »

schimi2k wrote:2. how much money will u spend ? if u have enough money u should take a look at any "EIZO" screens ( graphic pro screens )
First I've heard of them. Those are some impressive looking specs, but outside my price range. Max I would want to spend on a 27" would be $400. Closer to half that amount for a 23 or 24 inch.
schimi2k wrote:i doesnt want spend too much money for my new one - so i did some research and ended up with this one :
http://benq.de/product/monitor/gw2760hs
it have quite good specs for the price ( i pay around 219€ on amazon ) here u can find a big test of it ( in german :( )
That's a 1920x1080 27 inch. I take it that it still looks good at the larger size. Maybe I should be paying more attention to pixel pitch than resolution? How's the off-angle viewing? Not that I need it that much, but it's one of the things that annoys me about my current monitor. The price point is particularly attractive. This is going on my list of possible candidates, thanks. :P
schimi2k
Veteran
Veteran

Post by schimi2k »

angle view is great ;) u can almost watch from 90 degrees on it hehe - on my old monitor get a ugly "yellow´ish" tint all over on a slightly move with the head hehe
i have my screen mounted on a monitor stand - so i can turn it all around and i can see from any angle a great picture ;) its getting maybe a LIIITTLE bit brighter when u watch from the side - but no color missmatch
maybe u can find it on amazon in your country ;) so even if u dont like it, u can send it back after a week - but i love my benq
leepenny

Post by leepenny »

hehe - I worked on an old beat up 21.5 inch screen - not expensive - viewing angle OK - if budget is an issue then go for an average size GOOD monitor 23.5 should suffice - viewing angle isnt an issue for me as my monitor is fixed in a comfortable position for me with no reflections (anti glare screen)
but most important is screen calibration - getting the colour levels and black and whites and contrast and gamma correct is a must - I have used some really cheap (2nd hand) monitors that have served well over the years once calibrated correctly
Here is a current link to the one I use
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-aoc-i ... s-speakers
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dybal »

A new monitor was already a planned purchase for this year. I likely will get a 27 inch and not be so cheap. I did decide to move the purchase date up, but it will still be about another 3 weeks before I order one. I guess that gives me time for research. :geek:
leepenny wrote:viewing angle isnt an issue for me as my monitor is fixed in a comfortable position for me with no reflections (anti glare screen)
It's not really an issue. Just something I find annoying on the few occasions I do run into it.
leepenny wrote:but most important is screen calibration - getting the colour levels and black and whites and contrast and gamma correct is a must - I have used some really cheap (2nd hand) monitors that have served well over the years once calibrated correctly
After the first images I submitted, well first denials ;), I reset the monitor settings to default & recalibrated. Think it's still a bit off, but much better than it was.

How's the AG coating on your current screen? I was reading some AG coatings can be a bit heavy & grainy. Looking like another candidate, thanks.
leepenny

Post by leepenny »

How's the AG coating on your current screen? I was reading some AG coatings can be a bit heavy & grainy. Looking like another candidate, thanks.

Its OK - not really a HUGE fan of anti glare screens but the position of my set up means I can get the sun now and again from behind so it was a necessity - (I also tend to do my work at night LOL)
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dybal »

Good to know, thanks.

Off topic:
When's the last time you looked at your Balls of Fury disc?
leepenny

Post by leepenny »

my balls of fury are fine :D - hows yours - :D
the small mark at top - will fix w/e - might even do a complete revamp as my photoshop skills have improved since I did that one (one of the first few I did) - theres quite a few on the db that need 'updating' now but time is never on my side LOL
Dybal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dybal »

:lol: Well, that and the top is a different white than the rest of the disc.

Quite liked your Forbidden Planet disc. Did you make that image all yourself?