Ruling on Anime Season Posters

Hazmat
VIP
VIP

Ruling on Anime Season Posters

Post by Hazmat »

For the most part, whenever an anime gets a second season, they add onto the title or switch it a little bit. For example, Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic(Season 1) and then a year later Season two came out, but was known as Magi: The Kingdom of Magic. What I want to know is for season posters, if there are two separate logos to represent the separate seasons, can I exclude the part where I have to graphically mark it "Season 1" or "Season 2"? For example:

(Season 1)Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
(Season 2)Magi: The Kingdom of Magic
leepenny

Re: Ruling on Anime Season Posters

Post by leepenny »

For me if that is the case then I would say yes - I would like to get feedback from other admin/mods to make a concrete ruling so watch this space :)
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

I've been through this time after time. I was making art before tvdb started grouping all the seasons together so I always treated them separately.
Every season of anime in my xbmc is it's own entry with different main posters and logos for each.

Consider this series. https://fanart.tv/series/80554/hayate-no-gotoku/

Anyway, to answer your question directly, what I would like to see is just a small number for the season somewhere, but you can leave out any other text referring to season.
This will help people who are not sure of the order and will be a quick reminder without being obtrusive. Maybe something tasteful like a circle with a season number in it placed down in a corner. Doesn't have to be big and you can have fun designing something. Anyway, you can design something different for each series if you like that maybe matched the font of the logo a bit, and style it with colors or other elements that fir with the series. It is great license to do some experimenting. :)

The basic idea is something like the. (Much smaller of course.)

Would you have a problem with this? You can maybe get some inspiration from schimi2k's season posters, or from leepenny.
Hazmat
VIP
VIP

Post by Hazmat »

I see where you are going and have colors and designs going all through my head, nothing fancy but simple. Quick couple of questions though, I see that you would like a quick reminder with a graphic like you said, but is it necessary though because as long as I mark down what season both of the season posters belong to won't it get correctly placed automatically whenever people scrap the data? Doesn't this also mean I would have to put the number graphic on all season banners and thumbs as well? I admit that there will be no way to tell which season poster belongs to what season looking at it immediately on fanart.tv even though I mark them when I upload it, but the scrappers would be able to tell right? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, not sure how all this metadata scrapping(not sure if this is the right term) works.
leepenny

Post by leepenny »

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img855/8752/x3e0.png
minimalistic numbers from ghibli collection
btw not all people scrape their media - so looking on site to the uninitiated they wouldnt necessarily have a clue what poster was what - I see your point Akovia
Although I would imagine peeps that have this sort of anime are far more experienced than I at spotting what season is what.
TBH akovia makes sense ,people can browse the site and easily get to the season posters visually.
And hazmat you can make them really minimal - or with your skills even incorporate them into the poster so they dont look so stuck on
You say you have the colors and designs in your head - can't wait
I will leave the unanswered questions to 'Anime Akovia' :)
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Looks like leepenny took most of my words before I even thought them. :P

I feel strongly that there should be some sort of identifier on the poster/banner. You don't have to go the way I suggested at all. I encourage creativity and would never want to stifle it.
I realize that if not done right, it could take away from the artwork, which is why it should be given some thought and maybe some trial and error. I like the ghibli set that he posted as well.
There are so many ways this can be handled tastefully, but I'll leave that up to you.

Another example using leepenny's numbers that I don't think would be too obtrusive.

ArieS
Admin
Admin

Post by ArieS »

Anime is so confusing for someone who doesn't watch them, like me :)
So yeah, a number for the different seasons seems like a good idea.