Any desire for a fanart.tv user script?

Mordred

Any desire for a fanart.tv user script?

Post by Mordred »

I doubt anyone here knows, but I'm actually a Javascript developer when I'm not creating record label images that no one will download, or ruthlessly denying album covers for the slightest hint of compression artifacts. ;)

That said, there are some features I've always wished this site had, a few bugs that could easily be fixed, and some personal preferences that would be nice. All of them could be (relatively) easily fixed with a user script. For those that don't know, a user script is a piece of javascript code that you can install using Greasemonkey for Firefox, or natively into Chrome, which allows the user to alter the underlying website.

Some things I'm thinking of:
- Sort by downloads or date instead of thumbs up when browsing a user's artwork
- Fixing the broken images when browsing a user's record label artwork
- Pausing cdart from spinning on some/all pages (my laptop gets crazy hot trying to process that).
- Potentially adding upvoting on pages that aren't the artist/movie page (i.e. activity feeds, etc.). There was a request for this in another thread.
- Shrinking the blank space between sections of an artist/movie page when there aren't any images
- Potentially reordering the artist/movie page (I hate having to scroll past a bunch of categories I never upload/download art for to get to Album Covers)
- Being able to link back to a movie/artist page when browsing a users uploaded artwork
- A bunch of other crap I'll think of
- Any requests you guys might have?

I was curious if this would be something anyone else would be interested in/use. In an ideal world, Kode would give me access to the website and I'd happily go about hacking things up to suit my whimsy, but I don't know if that will ever happen. :D

No matter what the feedback in this thread is, I'll probably start this project because I'm bored and once I get an idea, I have a hard time letting it go. If there's enough interest I could even create a Chrome extension (essentially a packed up user script) which could be downloaded through the Chrome web store and would let me add a fancy "fanart.tv" button to Chrome.

Let me know what guys think and if you have any requests/ideas you'd want to see in a script like this.

Edit:
I went ahead and did it: Custom Fanart.tv Chrome Extension
akovia
Admin
Admin

Re: Any desire for a fanart.tv user script?

Post by akovia »

ummmm..... YES!!
Please yes, oh god yes, most definitely yes! :D

I would love to see you get site access to make most of these features standard for all users instead of userjs dependent, but I'll take anything I can get. I've already hacked the site css to make it more compact for myself, but I am no java guru and can't do much more than that.

Will be in touch. ;)
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

Just be warned: I never said I was a good javascript developer. ;)
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

hmmm, I doubt that.
But modesty is a great quality. ;)
bakslash

Post by bakslash »

Mordred wrote:In an ideal world, Kode would give me access to the website and I'd happily go about hacking things up to suit my whimsy, but I don't know if that will ever happen. :D
Trying the same for some days now - good luck :)
Tobby
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tobby »

Yes, that would be awesome. Another nice feture would be to be able to hide image types you never use.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

Started working on my own dark/compact css. Still a WIP, but this is the idea.

I'd like to see the blog posts continue down the right side for the complete first page.
RSS needs an icon as well I think.
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

I like that CSS.

Would anyone care if I started developing this as a Chrome Extension first? I've never done one before, so I think it could be fun. I'd make sure it'd work as a Greasemonkey script for Firefox, but it wouldn't be my first priority. I don't really want to get too far down this road though if I'm the only guy using Chrome though.
leepenny

Post by leepenny »

chrome user here +1 !
ArieS
Admin
Admin

Post by ArieS »

I use Chrome to moderate images too so yeah, go for it :)