Looking for Moderators

Discussions about moderation. Unsure if an image will pass moderation? Ask here. Image has been denied and want some pointers on how to fix the image? Ask here.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Looking for Moderators

Post by akovia »

We are always looking for talented and dedicated people to be a part of our staff. It takes a lot of work to keep things humming around here and sadly it usually falls on the shoulders of the few.
If you think you have what it takes and really want to help out, we would love to hear from you. Please remember that no one gets paid here. We do this because we like to.

We usually do not have an open call for moderators and try to contact people individually that have consistently shown great artwork with little to no denials for a steady period of time. This doesn't mean that if you've had lots of denials in the past that you wouldn't be considered. If that was the case, we wouldn't have very many mods at all. ;)

It does require a specific skill set though to be an effective moderator:
  • Must be a good communicator.
  • Must be able to guide beginners on how to get their art approved.
  • Must be knowledgeable about the rules for the images they moderate.
  • Should generally try to be active in the community.
  • Must try to be available to help out with some regularity.
  • Being multi-lingual is a huge plus.
On top of these skills, you must meet the following requirements:
  • Must have at least 200 images approved.
  • Must be able to join the IRC channel and log in to it at least whenever you are moderating images.
  • Have read through most of the forums so you are able to direct people with denied images to the proper resources on the site.
  • Must have a decent calibrated monitor to be able to spot level problems correctly - How to Calibrate your Monitor
Once you are an established moderator you will no longer be required to hang out in the channel unless you want to. This is only to establish that you are getting off on the right foot and are able to quickly ask questions and get help while you are learning the ropes.

There are not a lot of perks for being a moderator. It can be work at times, but also very rewarding.
If you haven't run off yet screaming for your teddy bear, you might just be the person we are looking for.
Please respond to this thread if you are interested and we will contact you to see if it's a fit. :)

akovia
Mordred

Re: Looking for Moderators

Post by Mordred »

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here. :)
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

I'm keen to help with this, I've got a fair few to upload and can wait up to 24 hours before my 'queue' of images are approved/moderated.
leepenny

Post by leepenny »

24 hours is pretty good for the music section - (It does get bombarded at times) :)
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

I've been enjoying uploading artwork after scanning a load in, but getting tired (and losing track) of what I've uploaded after waiting 2 days+ for approval. Kinda hard to stay motivated.
leepenny

Post by leepenny »

I understand but even if you were a mod you can't mod your own work so would still be in the moderation queue until someone else gets round to it.
You must understand that all participation on the site is done freely and in peoples spare time - if waiting a while for your images to be looked at is a pain - think of us (mods) having to give a decent piece of feedback for every image that doesn't make the cut as well as doing our own artwork and also trying to keep the request section to a minimum.
Have patience, I have seen in the past images take up to a week, even longer (ah nostalgia LOL) - fortunately we have some great mods here who look after the images when they have free time :)
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

This thread has gotten a bit off track.
If you seriously want to be considered for moderating, you should re-read the first post. If you want to help out to purely get your own images approved faster, I don't think this is the place.
Feel free to post here if you really want to discuss becoming a mod.

You can direct any further discussion about moderation time to the link in my sig. If that doesn't answer everything, that would be the appropriate place to discuss it.
LastDance-Media

Post by LastDance-Media »

Hi! After a break doing fanart's I feel ready to get back in business. Having produced over 1,800 images for this society (mostly music-fanart), I've got a slight idea about how the rules work :P Please feel free to sign me up if you need some help in the Moderation section.
akovia
Admin
Admin

Post by akovia »

LastDance-Media wrote:Hi! After a break doing fanart's I feel ready to get back in business. Having produced over 1,800 images for this society (mostly music-fanart), I've got a slight idea about how the rules work :P Please feel free to sign me up if you need some help in the Moderation section.
Hi LastDance-Media,
Thanks for your interest in helping out the community. Sorry no one has gotten back to you sooner.
It sounds like you might be a good fit to moderate the music section, but since that is not my section I will have to defer to Mordred who is the head of that section. Hopefully he will chime in here soon with his thoughts on it. If he doesn't soon, I'll contact him directly to get an answer.

Cheers
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

WHO AWAKENS ME FROM MY SLUMBER?!

I prefer not to make discussion about potential moderators public, but Akovia and I are discussing this and I think he'll get back to you soon. Thanks for your patience.