Use your fanart.tv username and password to login to this forum, if you don't have one, clicking on register will take you to the registration form on fanart.tv

Best approach for tricky-to-crop digipak covers?

Best approach for tricky-to-crop digipak covers?

Postby Cygnus Magistrate » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:44 am

Hi,

What do you think would be the best approach to take with non-square digipak covers that are not so easily edited into a square? Resize without constraining proportions so nothing important gets cropped out but the image gets slightly squashed horizontally, or attempt to 'extend' the top and bottom by photoshopping in some more background so a square cover can be had without harmful cropping or horizontal squashing?

I'm having a bit of a dilemma with a digipak here. Real life dimensions: 12.5 x 14 cm. There's text and illustrations extending all the way near the sides, so a simple cropping is out of the question, as parts of those would end up being cut out. Extending the top and bottom would otherwise be a rather simple solution, but this cover art has a sort cracked parchment/mural kind of background pattern to it, extending of which could be quite difficult to pull of convincingly. Moving the illustration's main elements inward would also be unfeasible due to the intricate background pattern. I also thought what the site's content policy says about such alterations - it'd be fully based on a scan of the original, but have those slivers on top and bottom recreated with photoshop to make it square without comprimising proportions.

Or should I just simply crop to a square without constraining proportions? When comparing right next to the uncropped version it's of course noticable that it's slightly squashed horizontally, but looking at it on its own, it doesn't look unnatural or off to me.

Opinions?
Cygnus Magistrate

Return to Music Section